Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
WARNING: The following contains spoilers for Season 1, Episode 10 of Star Trek: Picard, "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2," now streaming on CBS All Access.
The finale of Star Trek: Picard ended with a beloved Next Generation character passing on to the Great Beyond; however, it was not who fans thought it was. After sacrificing himself to stop a Romulan assault, Picard (Patrick Stewart) came face to face with Data (Brent Spiner), who asked to die so that he could truly experience the human life.
In an interview with TVGuide, Spiner spoke about the finale and how he felt it brought his character full circle.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
"I thought it was pretty great. It was an unbelievably beautifully written scene —Michael Chabon at his finest." Spiner said. "Both Patrick and I were both like, "This is fantastic," and we were both really moved by it. It was just wonderfully written, and I think the intent was to soften the blow of Nemesis and give Data a gentler exit than he had in that film."
He continued, "I think there's something really profound about what Michael [Chabon] wrote for Data to say about those things that are fleeting, that mortality is what makes us human, and those things that mean the most to us never last forever."
Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera and Harry Treadaway. The first season is available on CBS All Access.
More on this: 421 stories
- Ron Moore Talks Abandoned "Star Wars" Series
- How Star Trek' Saved 'Mission: Impossible 2'
- Agents of SHIELD: LMD Coulson Is Nothing Like Star Trek's Data
- CBS Reportedly Planning A Spock And Kirk Star Trek Spinoff
- Star Trek Introduces The MULTIVERSE'S Federation: How It's Different
- Redshirt fans are excited for new series, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
- Why Star Trek: Enterprise's Series Finale Is So Hated by Fans
- Star Trek: Discovery's Original Promise Fulfilled By New Show
- Star Trek: 5 Rumored Projects Fans Would Love To See (& 5 They Wouldn't)
- John Krasinski's YouTube series “Some Good News” is moving to CBS All Access
- Simon Pegg reveals heartbreaking reason Star Trek 4 may not happen
- NASA May Have Just Confirmed a Parallel Mirror Universe (Yes, Really)
- Simon Pegg Says Star Trek Movies Will Never Be As Successful As Marvel Films
- Collider Connected: Watch Our Live Interview with Ronald D. Moore on May 22
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Episode Details You Missed In “The Measure Of A Man”
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Ordered to Series for CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Can Solve Pike's Mirror Universe Mystery
- Pegg Asked About A New Star Trek Movie
- Star Trek: Voyager to celebrate 25th anniversary on May 26th
- Star Trek May Be Better Off On TV Than Movies, Says Simon Pegg
- Star Trek Movies Will Never Be As Successful as MCU, Says Simon Pegg
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Fits Into Franchise Canon
- Star Trek: Voyager Reunion Announced
- New Star Trek Movie Update: Simon Pegg on the Likelihood of Star Trek 4
- Goldsman Updates Fans On Picard Season Two