Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
Star Trek: Picard debuted its first season finale this week on CBS All Access. The episode included the return of Capt. William Riker to active Starfleet duty. Riker returned to duty to lead the Starfleet squadron responding to Captain Jean-Luc Picard's distress call, but he wasn't commanding the USS Titan, the ship he left the Enterprise to captain in Star Trek: Nemesis. Instead, he was acting captain of the Curiosity-class USS Zheng He. Responding to fan question on Instagram, Picard showrunner Michael Chabon revealed why Riker wasn't back aboard the Titan. He notes the number of years that have passed since Nemesis took place and since Riker retired from active duty, as well as the timing and nature of this mission.
"Assuming that the Titan is still in service — probably a reasonable assumption — she's nearly a decade in Riker's rear-view, and he in hers," Chabon says. "It's off somewhere in the galaxy exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life, etc. This brand new Curiosity-class ship was freshly crewed up and ready to go."
Riker departing the USS Enterprise-E to take command of the USS Titan after marrying Deanna Troi, who would join him on the Titan, was a subplot of Star Trek: Nemesis, the final Star Trek: The Next Generation movie. The ship has never appeared in canon, but a series of interconnected Star Trek novels continues to follow the ship's adventures under Riker's command after the events of Nemesis.
Riker's new ship is the USS Zheng He. The ship is named after a 15th-century Chinese explorer. In addition to being an accomplished mariner, Zheng He commanded the Ming Dynasty's treasure ships, which were referred to as the "Star Fleet."
Some aspects of the ship may look familiar. The Zheng He's bridge is a redress of the USS Discovery bridge set at Star Trek: Discovery's production site in Toronto. The layout is the same, but the screens have been altered to show era-appropriate LCARS displays and the captain's chair has been altered slightly.
The exterior of the Zheng He, a Curiosity-class vessel, resembles some ships from the game Star Trek Online. It isn't exactly like any of the game's ships, as was the case with Admiral Picard's new ship, but the overall aesthetic is similar. I would come as no surprise to see Curiosity-class ships are added to Star Trek Online in an update in the near future.
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That's right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week's biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.
More on this: 113 stories
- Agents of SHIELD: LMD Coulson Is Nothing Like Star Trek's Data
- Why Star Trek: Enterprise's Series Finale Is So Hated by Fans
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Episode Details You Missed In “The Measure Of A Man”
- Goldsman Updates Fans On Picard Season Two
- 5 Directors Who Almost Helmed A Star Trek Movie (& 5 Who Should)
- Patrick Stewart hints at big things and more cameos in season 2 of Picard
- Star Trek: 10 Best Holodeck Characters
- The Star Trek Finales, Ranked Worst To Best (According To IMDb)
- Patrick Stewart Teases More Next Generation Stars On Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- Rebuilding Data for Star Trek: Picard involved a real life treasure hunt
- Star Trek: 5 Reasons The Final Frontier Is The Worst Film (& 5 It's Insurrection)
- Star Trek: Picard's Prop Team Had to Hunt Down Data's Original Parts
- Star Trek: Data & The Borg Queen Definitely Had Sex
- Star Trek: Data & Borg Queen Definitely Did It
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Reveals Whether Data and the Borg Queen Had Sex in First Contact
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Wanted to Direct Nemesis
- Jonathan Frakes Says He Would've Directed Star Trek: Nemesis If He'd Been Asked
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Is Glad Riker Didn't Return on the Titan in Picard
- Star Trek: Data's Insurrection Role Sets Up Soji In Picard
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Compares Picard and Discovery
- Star Trek: Picard - Jonathan Frakes Has High Praise for Riker's Fate
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Reveals His Reaction to Learning Riker's Fate in Picard
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Felt Like a Flashback For Riker Actor
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Reveals What It Felt Like Playing Captain Riker in the Picard Finale
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Include More Next Generation Characters