New Star Trek Theory Says Kirk’s The Reason Picard Stayed As Enterprise Captain
In Star Trekcanon, Jean-Luc Picard was captain of the Enterprise for far longer than James T. Kirk. Famously, Kirk commanded the iconic Starfleet ship for its five year journey through space before it returned to Earth. After ascending to the rank of – and then being demoted from – admiral, Kirk then captained the Enterprise-A for another seven years. Picard, on the other hand, captained the Enterprise-D/E for 21 uninterrupted years.
As ScreenRant has pointed out, the reason why Picard remained on board the Enterprise so long may be because of Kirk himself. The two space-faring legends finally met in Star Trek: Generations, with Picard discovering that the presumed-dead Kirk had actually ended up in the Nexus, an extra-dimensional realm. When the pair team up, they share a poignant exchange in which Kirk asks Picard if he’s planning to retire. Picard tells him he isn’t currently, but the former tells him not to.
It seems that Jean-Luc took his forebear’s impassioned words to heart. Following Generations, and the tragic death of Kirk, Picard stayed as Enterprise captain a further 14 years. As we now know, thanks to Star Trek: Picard, he eventually became an admiral and then retired from Starfleet at the age of 80 – unfortunately, under sad circumstances. Eventually, however, Picard later returned to active duty well into his 90s and helped solve the Starfleet conspiracy that had caused him to quit, saving countless lives along the way. As Kirk would say, he made a difference.
It’s never been outright confirmed in Star Trek media, but it’s moving to think that Picard’s lengthy Enterprise career, and even beyond, have been influenced by the wise advice he once received from Kirk.
More on this: 478 stories
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- Star Trek: Kirk's Bad Reputation Really Belongs To Riker
- Star Trek: Lower Decks to feature 'legacy' characters
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: Captain Pike's could change
- Star Trek: Mirror Universe Picard Uses Teamwork As A WEAPON
- Why CBS Should Consider A Jean-Luc Picard Star Trek Prequel Show
- Star Trek: Voyager - The 10 Worst Episodes, According To IMDb
- "Shang-Chi" & "Jurassic" Filming Resumption Talk
- Star Trek: Tilly Would Be The Best Discovery Captain
- Star Trek fans would love a Stargazer series with a younger Picard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gets Its Own T-Shirt Club
- Shang-Chi: Did Michelle Yeoh Just Accidentally Confirm Her Role?
- Who Are the Best Captains in Pop Culture?
- Hulu Just Added A Ton Of Classic Star Trek Movies Today
- Jeri Ryan should've starred in Star Trek: Nemesis as Seven of Nine
- Chase Masterson on Dual Roles for Sci-Fi Spoof Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- Lower Decks: Star Trek's Attempt to Lean into The Rick and Morty Factor
- Why Seven of Nine Didn't Cameo In Star Trek Nemesis
- All 6 Voyager Characters Who Returned In Other Star Trek Shows & Movies
- Star Trek Cocktails – A Stellar Compendium
- Star Trek Debuts New Discovery and Lower Decks Footage