CBS All Access Greenlights Pike Spin-Off Series ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’
CBS All Access continues to load up on Star Trek series by officially announcing the new spinoff, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The series will be led by Anson Mount‘s Christopher Pike, who makes the move from Star Trek: Discovery. This is the second Discovery spinoff following the one with Michelle Yeoh that’s in the works focusing on Starfleet’s Section 31 division. That makes five Trek series that are in the works with Discovery, Picard, and the animated series Lower Decks.
According to TVLine, the series will follow Pike, Spock (Ethan Peck), and Number One (Rebecca Romijn) in the ten years before Captain Kirk took control of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Akiva Goldsman will write the series premiere from a story by him and his Discovery and Picard co-executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet.
I haven’t really been following all the assorted Trek goings-on simply because I can’t bring myself to sign up for CBS All Access just for Star Trek. It would seem like an ideal time to maybe run Discovery on regular CBS during the summer and give people a sense of what the show is about and how it compares to previous Trek without taking the plunge or needing to binge the series during a trial period.
As for this new crew, all three characters first debuted in the original Star Trek series but their current incarnations appeared in the second season of Discovery. However, given the events of Discovery and what’s happening with that series, don’t expect much in the way of future crossovers. Instead, it seems like CBS realized that audiences had warmed to Pike, Spock, and Number One, and decided that it was best to give them their own show that would lead up to where audiences met them in The Original Series. Of course, this being Trek, anything can change and maybe Pike isn’t doomed to his dark fate.
More on this: 557 stories
- Quentin Tarantino Won't Direct His 20s Gangster-Set Star Trek Film, But It Could Still Happen!
- Star Trek: Prodigy Lands Harry Potter Director as Creative Lead
- Daniel Dae Kim Is Running a Campaign to Get James Hong a Star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame
- Star Trek: The 10 Weirdest Official Merch You Can Buy
- Figuring Out Where to Take the Star Trek Movies Is Not Hard
- Star Trek: Where Kirk Is During Discovery Season 1 & 2 Revealed
- Star Trek: Beyond's sequel and not Quentin Tarantino's film should be next
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Characters Come to Star Trek Online
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Uses Canon to Its Advantage
- Star Trek: Picard Reportedly Lost Nearly Half Its Audience Over Season 1
- Every Star Trek Easter Egg & Reference In Lower Decks Episode 1
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' warps into the animated comedy frontier with 'Second Contact'
- Rumors say Simon Pegg wants more to do with next Star Trek movie
- When Does Lower Decks Take Place in the Star Trek Universe?
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Reflects Fans Back at Themselves
- The Movie Sleuth: Trek In Flux: Numerous Star Trek Movie Ideas Being Considered By Paramount
- What's Happening With Those Star Trek Movies?
- Lower Decks Treats Previous Star Trek Crews Like Royalty
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Creator Wants Series to Be the Origin of a Bridge Crew
- Star Trek 4: Original Time Travel Idea With Chris Hemsworth Reportedly Still on the Table
- Paramount pausing Noah Hawley's Star Trek film is a bad sign
- Blazing Saddles Animated Remake Stars Cats and Dogs
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Film On Hold; Tarantino's Film Includes 1930s Gangsters
- 3 Different Star Trek Scripts Being Considered to Reboot Fledgeling Movie Franchise
- Star Trek Theatrical Return is Paramount's Priority