Simon Pegg still uncertain about the future of the Star Trek movie franchise
Star Trek star and co-writer Simon Pegg is uncertain about the future of the movies involving himself and the rest of the cast from the three most recent Star Trek instalments – Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Star Trek Beyond.
In a recent interview with Collider, Pegg revealed the future of his Star Trek films are unconfirmed as of right now and with the addition of tragically losing co-star Anton Yelchin, the enthusiasm to return is extremely low.
“One thing I did mention when I spoke about it recently is that for us, losing Anton Yelchin the way we did was a real blow,” Pegg says. “And I think it slightly took the wind out of our sails in terms of our enthusiasm to do another one, just because we’re now missing one of our family. He would be conspicuous by his absence.
“We’re all still in contact, we were emailing with each other the other day, just checking in, ‘how are we,’ and stuff,” he continues. “But it’s not like any of us have been banging on the door at Paramount saying, ‘Hey, when are we doing this?’ If they say, ‘We’d like to do another movie,’ I’m sure we’ll all jump at the chance. I miss those guys, and I love making those films. But I just don’t know. Noah Hawley’s project has been mentioned, and maybe that will happen. I don’t know anything about that. So yeah, I’m as in the dark as everyone else, I’m in the same boat as you guys.”
Pegg continued to suggest that despite the mentioned of Noah Hawley’s Star Trek movie, the future of the franchise could lie within television where it first started.
“Maybe TV is a better place for [Star Trek] now. Television has evolved so much. It’s become something which is very much a contemporary, a peer of cinema. It’s simply viewed in a different way. It isn’t a reduced scope anymore. You can still do masses of interesting things, and it can still look modern and not inexpensive. Maybe television is a better format for Star Trek. That’s where it started, you know.”
Do you think Simon Pegg and the rest of the cast should return for another Star Trek movie? Let us know in the comments below or tweet us @flickeringmyth…
More on this: 478 stories
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- Star Trek: Kirk's Bad Reputation Really Belongs To Riker
- Star Trek: Lower Decks to feature 'legacy' characters
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: Captain Pike's could change
- Star Trek: Mirror Universe Picard Uses Teamwork As A WEAPON
- Why CBS Should Consider A Jean-Luc Picard Star Trek Prequel Show
- Star Trek: Voyager - The 10 Worst Episodes, According To IMDb
- "Shang-Chi" & "Jurassic" Filming Resumption Talk
- Star Trek: Tilly Would Be The Best Discovery Captain
- Star Trek fans would love a Stargazer series with a younger Picard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gets Its Own T-Shirt Club
- Shang-Chi: Did Michelle Yeoh Just Accidentally Confirm Her Role?
- Who Are the Best Captains in Pop Culture?
- Hulu Just Added A Ton Of Classic Star Trek Movies Today
- Jeri Ryan should've starred in Star Trek: Nemesis as Seven of Nine
- Chase Masterson on Dual Roles for Sci-Fi Spoof Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- Lower Decks: Star Trek's Attempt to Lean into The Rick and Morty Factor
- Why Seven of Nine Didn't Cameo In Star Trek Nemesis
- All 6 Voyager Characters Who Returned In Other Star Trek Shows & Movies
- Star Trek Cocktails – A Stellar Compendium
- Star Trek Debuts New Discovery and Lower Decks Footage