CBS May Make Kirk Bisexual In Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Star Trek: The Original Series is still beloved, but it’s aged poorly in certain ways – Captain Kirk’s constant womanizing being one of them. Even the Abrams reboot movies kept this element of the character, to some controversy. All the signs are pointing to us getting a new version of James Tiberius in the near future though in CBS All Access’ upcoming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, so maybe a major change needs to be made to the iconic Enterprise captain in order to bring him firmly into the 21st century.
CBS might feel that way, too, as they’re apparently considering making a big change to the character. Trusted insider Daniel Richtman has revealed on Twitter that sources are telling him Kirk could end up being portrayed as bisexual in SNW. “Heard they are toying with the idea of making Kirk bi in the new series,” Richtman writes.
The Kelvin films have already played around with depicting TOS characters as LGBTQ+, with Sulu being portrayed as a married gay man with a daughter in Star Trek Beyond. It seems that Trek fans are open to this further exploration of the crew’s sexualities, then. In the responses to Richtman’s tweet, various users expressed interest or at least a complete lack of shock at Kirk potentially coming out as bi.
CBS officially announcedStrange New Worlds about a month ago. Shortly before the news broke, though, a report stated that Kirk would feature in the series, which will focus on Christopher Pike’s (Anson Mount) tenure on the Enterprise. Jake Cannavale was said to be in the running to play the part, but as of yet, it doesn’t seem like CBS has made a final decision.
Tell us, though, do you have any thoughts on Kirk possibly being depicted as bisexual in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds? Join the conversation in the comments section down below.
More on this: 519 stories
- Star Trek DS9: How Dax Became A Trans Icon
- Star Trek: Picard: Patrick Stewart Struggled Saying Goodbye to Data
- Patrick Stewart Struggled Saying Goodbye To Data In Star Trek: Picard
- Why a prequel about Worf should be the next Star Trek series
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo Sings About Not Being Brent Spiner in New Music Video
- Bring back Wil Wheaton to Star Trek, even if Wesley Crusher annoyed us
- 10 Classic Sci-Fi Shows To Entertain Star Trek And Star Wars Fans Right Now
- Bonus Ready Room With Wil Wheaton
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Poster Reveals Starfleet's Newest Ship
- Picard: There's a 'Good Chance' Jean Luc Will Reunite With Beverly Crusher
- Star Trek: Lower Decks arrive on CBS All Access on August 6
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Revealed by CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Lower Decks unveils new look photo ahead of August 6 premiere
- 'Deltas' are in as Space Force develops command structure
- Star Trek: Gates McFadden Says There's a "Good Chance" She'll Return in Picard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Reveals First Look at New Ship
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Announced
- Star Trek Online: House Divided Update
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Coming Next Month!
- Star Trek actress Gates McFadden says appearance in Picard is possible
- CBS Announces Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date
- Gates McFadden deserves one more turn in Picard's second season
- Star Trek: Picard's Sir Patrick Stewart Is Writing a Memoir
- Star Trek Online: House Divided Trailer Released