Simon Pegg was "irked" over Star Trek role
Simon Pegg has a lot to thank J.J. Abrams for when it comes to boosting his blockbuster career, but he had a slightly unusual reaction to being offered the role of Scotty in Star Trek.
And although he was naturally delighted to take on such an iconic character, he was kind of hoping he'd be offered the role over dinner. Not in a casual email.
"I got off an airplane, a flight from New York back to London. And opened my phone and there was an email from J.J. and it said ‘Do you want to play Scotty?’ And I was almost annoyed by that," he told Cinemablend.
"The tenacity of it irked me," he laughed. "Because you can’t just throw the ball into my court like that and expect me to smash it back. I need some time to think about it.
"But of course three or four days later I was like ‘Yes, of course!’ But it just felt like such a, like he was just handing me this massive opportunity, and I wanted dinner and a movie."
It was a different story for his short part as Unkar Plutt in Star Wars, however, with actor being offered the role over dinner this time.
"Oddly when he did he offered me the role in Star Wars, he did take me out to dinner and offer me over dinner. [sic]"
Digital Spy now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
Looking for more TV recommendations and discussion? Head over to our Facebook Group to see new picks every day, and chat with other readers about what they're watching right now.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.
More on this: 10 stories
- Star Trek: Simon Pegg Was Irked By How JJ Abrams Offered Him Scotty Role
- Star Trek's Simon Pegg Was 'Almost Annoyed' When Offered Scotty Role
- Simon Pegg still uncertain about the future of the Star Trek movie franchise
- Simon Pegg Hasn't Completely Given Up on Star Trek 4
- Pegg Asked About A New Star Trek Movie
- Simon Pegg Is Still Hopeful for Star Trek 4 But Cast Remains in the Dark
- Star Trek: Simon Pegg Uncertain About Future Movies
- Star Trek May Be Better Off On TV Than Movies, Says Simon Pegg
- New Star Trek Movie Update: Simon Pegg on the Likelihood of Star Trek 4
- Star Trek's Simon Pegg jokes about JJ Abrams' relaxed casting