Star Trek Picard Season 2: Jonathan Frakes Hopes To Return As Captain Riker
Jonathan Frakes is interested in reprising his role as Captain Riker for the second season of Star Trek: Picard. Before season 1 of Picard, Frakes was amid a three-year hiatus from acting, last appearing in a movie called Devil's Gate back in 2017. He has already become an integral part of the Star Trek spinoff, however, serving as both an actor and a director for the series, a partnership he appears eager to continue.
Before Picard, Frakes last played his iconic Captain Riker role - which originated with Star Trek: The Next Generation in 1987 - in an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005 (although he has voiced the character in a couple of episodes of Family Guy since then). As a director, however, Frakes returned to the franchise sooner, directing three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery before his two appearances towards the end of Picard's first season. He also directed two episodes of season 1 of Picard: "Absolute Candor" and "Stardust City Rag."Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Frakes is hungry for more. According to TrekMovie.com, the actor recently told the TrekGeeks podcast that he would be interested in reprising his role once more for the second season of Picard. He is already expected to direct at least one episode of the second season, which was ordered (along with a third season) before the first season even debuted, back in January 2020. Season 2 of Picard doesn't have a release date, although it's expected to air on CBS All Access either towards the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021.
See Frakes' full comments below:
At first, it seemed Frakes wasn't going to be teaming up with his old pal Patrick Stewart in Picard. Since then, however, it appears Frakes has been bitten by the Captain Riker bug and has no intention of turning his back on the franchise again. He is involved in helming future episodes of franchise shows, perhaps including Strange New Worlds, the spinoff set for 2021. He even wants to make an appearance on a Star Trek adjacent show he has already directed, The Orville.
How Captain Riker would function in future episodes of Picard is an open question. His first appearance on the series showed him married (to Deanna Troi) and with a child, no longer working as an active member of Starfleet. By the end of the season, however, Captain Riker was back in active duty. Future appearances of the character would likely show Captain Riker has an essential member of Starfleet once more, potentially leading to a more prominent role in Star Trek: Picard.
More on this: 14 stories
- Star Trek: Picard's Jonathan Frakes Hopes to Return as Riker
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Confirmed to Direct Strange New Worlds
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Reveals Origin of the Riker Chair Sit Maneuver
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Wanted to Direct Nemesis
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Is Glad Riker Didn't Return on the Titan in Picard
- Star Trek: Picard - Jonathan Frakes Has High Praise for Riker's Fate
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Reveals His Reaction to Learning Riker's Fate in Picard
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Felt Like a Flashback For Riker Actor
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Reveals What It Felt Like Playing Captain Riker in the Picard Finale
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Expects to Return for Picard Season 2
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Expects More Next Generation Returns In Picard Season 2 (Exclusive)
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Hints He's Involved With New Series
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Returning as Will Riker Was "Nerve-Wracking"
- Star Trek: Picard's Jonathan Frakes Teases Involvement With New Series