Fan makes amazing computer from Star Trek: The Next Generation
One fan made an awesome Star Trek: The Next Generation mini-computer that you have to see.
Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted in 1987 and over 33 years later is still influencing an entire generation of people, from tiny miniatures of the bridge to entire sects of fan fiction that have existed before the internet. Trek fans are often some of the most creative, intelligent, and cunning people out there. It’s always impressive to watch as fans come together and create something that takes your breath away.
Enter Darian Johnson, a YouTuber with an affinity for tech.
Johnson took the idea of making a Next Generation mini-computer from the Adafruit PyPortal Star Trek themed alarm. The look is the same, though the alarm only has a singular button, while Johnson’s mini Trek computer looks just like a unit that would be sitting on Captain Jean-Luc Picard’s desk.
In the YouTube bio, Johnson says he uses an ESP32 feather, with a 3.5 TFT Featherwing, and has the AWS cloud for APIs to news, weather, and fitness.
Johnson mentions that his love of Star Trek is what inspired him to make the computer.
The device has singular button prompts for the weather, both indoors and out, as well as news, a schedule function, the ability to track one’s fitness, and power and measurement tools. Most are run through apps and websites, like the news coming from News.org or the National Weather service for the temperature.
He even snuck in some personal easter eggs, like a nod to NASA astronaut Ron McNair, and his favorite Trek film (Wrath of Khan).
You can make your own by using the instructions he posted at instructables.com
More on this: 519 stories
- Star Trek DS9: How Dax Became A Trans Icon
- Star Trek: Picard: Patrick Stewart Struggled Saying Goodbye to Data
- Patrick Stewart Struggled Saying Goodbye To Data In Star Trek: Picard
- Why a prequel about Worf should be the next Star Trek series
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo Sings About Not Being Brent Spiner in New Music Video
- Bring back Wil Wheaton to Star Trek, even if Wesley Crusher annoyed us
- 10 Classic Sci-Fi Shows To Entertain Star Trek And Star Wars Fans Right Now
- Bonus Ready Room With Wil Wheaton
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Poster Reveals Starfleet's Newest Ship
- Picard: There's a 'Good Chance' Jean Luc Will Reunite With Beverly Crusher
- Star Trek: Lower Decks arrive on CBS All Access on August 6
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Revealed by CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Lower Decks unveils new look photo ahead of August 6 premiere
- 'Deltas' are in as Space Force develops command structure
- Star Trek: Gates McFadden Says There's a "Good Chance" She'll Return in Picard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Reveals First Look at New Ship
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Announced
- Star Trek Online: House Divided Update
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Coming Next Month!
- Star Trek actress Gates McFadden says appearance in Picard is possible
- CBS Announces Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date
- Gates McFadden deserves one more turn in Picard's second season
- Star Trek: Picard's Sir Patrick Stewart Is Writing a Memoir
- Star Trek Online: House Divided Trailer Released