“Morty” Scribe Talks “Star Trek: Lower Decks”
New photos and details have emerged regarding “Star Trek: Lower Decks,” the upcoming animated comedy series which will debut on CBS All Access later this year.
Mike McMahan, a former writer on “Rick and Morty,” is spearheading this first attempt at pure comedy for the venerable sci-fi franchise. He tells EW his goal was “to do a show about the guy who brings the yellow cartridge to the back of the food replicator so that a banana comes out the front.”
Though aimed at adults, the show’s humor is more PG-13 than R so arguably more “Futurama” than “Rick and Morty”. McMahan goes on to explain the differences between this and something like ‘Morty’:
The story focuses on the adventures of low-ranking crew members of Starfleet’s USS Cerritos, those assigned the less glamorous jobs from repairs and maintenance to analysis jobs. Time period wise the stories unfold during the 2360s – the era of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” at its height.
As a result, McMahan hopes to have some recognizable characters on the series: “Next Gen is my favorite era. And as a huge Trek fan, I would definitely want to try to use some of them so that I could not only build out the world, but also work with some of my heroes. But I can’t get more specific than that. You’ll have to wait and see.”
The series has not set an official premiere date as yet.
More on this: 12 stories
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August
- Star Trek: Lower Decks arrive on CBS All Access on August 6
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Revealed by CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Lower Decks unveils new look photo ahead of August 6 premiere
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Announced
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Coming Next Month!
- Star Trek: Lower Decks showrunner teases possible Next Generation cameos
- Star Trek: Next Gen Characters Could Appear In Lower Decks Animated Show
- Animated Star Trek Series May Cast Popular Next Generation Characters
- Star Trek: Lower Decks creator Mike McMahan says he 'definitely wants to try to use some' Next Generation in animated series
- Star Trek: Next Generation cameos teased for Star Trek: Lower Decks
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Fits Into Franchise Canon