Star Trek: Lower Decks boss hints classic Next Generation characters will return
Star Trek: Discovery's third season remains a bit of a mystery, but one Star Trek spin-off that's proceeding at warp speed is the animated comedy series Lower Decks. Yes, that's right – an animated comedy series.
First announced back in 2018, Lower Decks is from the mind of Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan. Ahead of the show's release, the creator has hinted that some familiar Star Trek favourites may well appear.
The Star Trek sitcom (if we can call it that) is set during the time period of the late '80s and early '90s classic The Next Generation, and now Mike has told Entertainment Weekly that fans can possibly expect "a lot of recognisable characters" to pop up.
Although stopping short at naming names, he explained: "There are a lot of recognisable characters in the galaxy at that point. Next Gen is my favourite era. And as a huge Trek fan, I would definitely want to try to use some of them so that I could not only build out the world, but also work with some of my heroes."
Unfortunately, that's all we're getting on matter – for now.
"But I can't get more specific than that," he added, teasing: "You'll have to wait and see."
This content is imported from Instagram. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
But if it's a Next Generation reunion you want, then you needn't rely on Lower Decks to deliver the goods, as the cast of the series actually got together earlier this year.
Marina Sirtis, who played Deanna Troi on the show, recently rang in her 65th birthday with the cast in a virtual, socially-distanced reunion.
Everyone from Jean-Luc Picard, to Worf, Wesley Crusher, and Data were there, proving that the Next Generation team really do continue to live long and prosper.
Digital Spy now has a newsletter –sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
Looking for more TV recommendations and discussion? Head over to ourFacebook Group to see new picks every day, and chat with other readers about what they're watching right now.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.
More on this: 12 stories
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August
- Star Trek: Lower Decks arrive on CBS All Access on August 6
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Revealed by CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Lower Decks unveils new look photo ahead of August 6 premiere
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Announced
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Coming Next Month!
- Star Trek: Lower Decks showrunner teases possible Next Generation cameos
- Star Trek: Next Gen Characters Could Appear In Lower Decks Animated Show
- Animated Star Trek Series May Cast Popular Next Generation Characters
- "Morty" Scribe Talks "Star Trek: Lower Decks"
- Star Trek: Next Generation cameos teased for Star Trek: Lower Decks
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Fits Into Franchise Canon