Star Trek: Next Generation cameos teased for Star Trek: Lower Decks
Star Trek: Lower Decks creator Mike McMahan has hinted at some Star Trek: Next Generation cameos on the animated show.
The next Star Trek series to debut on the CBS All-Access service will end up being the animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks. The animated series will feature a crew of characters set in the lower decks of a Star Fleet vessel. Obviously, it’s a series about whacky hijinks, and big, random adventures.
It will be in the vein of many modern cartoons today. Like many modern cartoons, this isn’t aimed at children. Not at all. While it won’t be the hard-hitting, R-rated, raunchy affair of something you’d see on Adult Swim, the series will be more nuanced while maintaining a PG-13 sensibility.
Series creator Mike McMahan spoke to Entertainment Weekly and talked about that very idea.
When talking about what kind of show he wants Lower Decks to be, McMahan described it as the “….show about the guy who brings the yellow cartridge to the back of the food replicator so that a banana comes out the front.’
The comparisons to a series like Rick and Morty can’t be denied, and that’s something that McMahan also addresses.
What else do we know about Lower Decks? We know it’ll take play during the Next Generation years, despite having radically different attire than crews did at the time. So does that mean that stars of the Next Generation series will guest star on the series? McMahan can’t say, for obvious reasons.
As of right now, that’s all we know about the show. There’s no confirmed release date, just that it’ll be available sometime in 2020. The series stars Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid, Noel Wells, Eugene Cordero, Dawnn Lewis, Jerry O’Connell, Fred Tatasciore, and Gillian Vigman.
More on this: 12 stories
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August
- Star Trek: Lower Decks arrive on CBS All Access on August 6
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Revealed by CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Lower Decks unveils new look photo ahead of August 6 premiere
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Date Announced
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Coming Next Month!
- Star Trek: Lower Decks showrunner teases possible Next Generation cameos
- Star Trek: Next Gen Characters Could Appear In Lower Decks Animated Show
- Animated Star Trek Series May Cast Popular Next Generation Characters
- Star Trek: Lower Decks creator Mike McMahan says he 'definitely wants to try to use some' Next Generation in animated series
- "Morty" Scribe Talks "Star Trek: Lower Decks"
- How Star Trek: Lower Decks Fits Into Franchise Canon