Patrick Stewart Explains His Goals For Returning In Star Trek: Picard
A couple of years ago, Star Trek fans thought Patrick Stewart had long put the franchise behind him. And then Star Trek: Picardwas announced, with Jean-Luc’s big comeback finally airing earlier this year. The British thespian has previously opened up about how he only wanted to come back to Trek if he could do something different, and in a new interview he’s revealed what goals he hoped to achieve in the CBS All Access show.
In Variety’s Actors on Actors issue, Stewart and The Witcher star Henry Cavill asked each other questions about their respective projects. When questioned by Cavill about how he hoped to evolve the character of Picard in the series, Stewart explained that X-Men movie Logan was his touchstone for what he wanted the show to be like.
We’ve heard before that Stewart was a key part of mapping out the storyline for the first season, being very present in the writers room in the development stages on Picard to make sure it was going to be as good as he wanted it to be. And in terms of pushing Jean-Luc into new emotional dimensions, he definitely succeeded. Like the actor says above, we got to witness the character show a range of different sides that we never saw of him when he was captain of the Enterprise-D/E.
There were some places Stewart didn’t think Picard should go, however. As he revealed to TV Guide, he drew the line at having Jean-Luc start swearing, as he was somewhat alarmed to learn that the series would feature some very un-Trek-like strong language. As for his goals for season 2, the star’s teased that he wants to dig deeper into the interpersonal relationships between the La Sirena crew.
Star Trek: Picardseason 2 has been delayed, but it remains a top priority for CBS.
More on this: 556 stories
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division
- Discovery Brings Back A Big Star Trek Element In Season 3
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Wil Wheaton's proud of Wesley's legacy
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Which Star Trek TOS Character Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Zodiac?
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award