Star Trek: Killing Off Jadzia Dax Was DS9's Biggest Mistake
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine killing off Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell) in season 6 was the series' biggest mistake, which was caused by behind the scenes issues between the actress, Star Trek producer Rick Berman, and Paramount. Season 6 was arguably DS9's best as the series' Dominion War ramped up to deliver the darkest and most complex long-form story Star Trek had ever seen. Dax's shocking death came in DS9's season 6 finale, "Tears of the Prophets," when she was murdered by the series' greatest villain, Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo).
Jadzia Dax was one of DS9's main cast and was introduced in the pilot episode, "Emissary." Jadzia was Deep Space Nine's Science Officer and one of the station's senior Starfleet personnel. As a Trill, Jadzia was the eighth host of the Dax symbiont, which possessed the memories of all of its previous hosts, including Curzon Dax, the former Federation Ambassador to the Klingons and a mentor of Captain Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks).Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Although it took a couple of seasons for DS9's writers to truly define Dax, the initially inexperienced Farrell gradually grew into the character, and Jadzia emerged as a highly intelligent, spirited woman beloved by both her crewmates and Star Trek fans. Worf (Michael Dorn) joining DS9 in season 4 was a boon to Dax, as the Klingon and Trill quickly sparked a romance that brought out fascinating new sides of both characters. Jadzia married Worf at the start of DS9 season 6 and they looked forward to a happy life together after the Dominion War was over — until Jadzia's senseless murder, which necessitated a huge revamp of DS9 season 7.
The full details of why Terry Farrell left Star Trek: Deep Space Nine have not been fully disclosed; Farrell has her side of the story while the producers and studios have their version of what happened. According to the Star Trek oral history, The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years by Mark A. Altman and Edward Gross, Farrell requested that she appear in fewer episodes in season 7, essentially reducing her role to a recurring character. Instead, the actress claims the producers and the studio were trying "to bully me into saying yes [to signing onto a full season 7 schedule]."In What We Left Behind, 2019's DS9 retrospective documentary, Farrell got very emotional as she explained what happened behind the scenes, blaming the studio and Rick Berman for refusing to hear out her issues.
For his part, Berman takes umbrage at Farrell's accusations:
Meanwhile, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's showrunner, Ira Steven Behr, and the writing staff were purposely kept out of the tense negotiations. Behr was livid when he found out Farrell was leaving the show — which meant he had to kill off the popular Jadzia Dax character. Behr said, "Let me put it this way, if I had known what was going on, I would have stopped it."
With the die cast and Farrell out of DS9, the writers seized the opportunity to create a new Trill character, Ezri Dax (Nicole de Boer), who received the Dax symbiote and joined the show as the space station's Counselor. Ezri quickly became integral to the show and de Boer was thrilled to join DS9, even for one season, although the actress was also aware a segment of fans wouldn't accept her as Jadzia's replacement. Star Trek: Deep Space Nineseason 7 memorably closed out the series, and the show is now hailed as a pioneer of serialized television; regardless, the loss of Terry Farrell and Jadzia Dax was still an epic mistake that didn't need to happen.
More on this: 566 stories
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division
- Discovery Brings Back A Big Star Trek Element In Season 3
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Wil Wheaton's proud of Wesley's legacy
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Which Star Trek TOS Character Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Zodiac?
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December