Star Trek: Discovery Actress Explains How The Show Denounces Racism
Sonequa Martin-Green, who in Star Trek: Discoveryplays the role of Michael Burnham, has recently talked about the show’s diversity and how they actively try to denounce racism.
Discovery on CBS All Access has had a successful run over the past two years. The series not only incorporates elements that fans loved about the original Star Trek series and Star Trek: Enterprise, but creators Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman have made sure that their new take on the popular sci-fi universe is naturally progressive. Recently speaking with the Salt Lake Tribune, the latter discussed how they’ve managed to accomplish this goal.
This rings true when you consider Martin-Green’s character Burnham, whose color and race is never explicitly addressed in the show. The actress herself seems to be of the same opinion, recently claiming:
Martin-Green continued by saying that the show sees each individual character as a whole, noting:
These discussions are especially important amidst the Black Lives Matter protests taking place around the globe. But it seems that the crew of USS Discovery has known how to properly handle the issue of diversity and representation in this sci-fi universe.
The third season of Star Trek: Discovery is still going through post-production and will run for 13 episodes sometime in 2020 on CBS All Access.
More on this: 566 stories
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division
- Discovery Brings Back A Big Star Trek Element In Season 3
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Wil Wheaton's proud of Wesley's legacy
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Which Star Trek TOS Character Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Zodiac?
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December