Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 May Ditch The Universal Translator
Star Trek has a ton of amazing technology on it: transporters capable of instantaneous travel, replicators that can make almost anything and, of course, warp drives that enable our characters to explore the galaxy. But one largely invisible bit of tech that’s hugely important is the Universal Translator, which lets those from various alien species communicate with one another.
But what if the Universal Translator doesn’t work anymore? Inverse has posted an interesting article arguing that the upcoming third season of Star Trek: Discovery should ditch the device. This season will see our heroes 900 years into the future in the 32nd century, meaning there’s bound to be a vast gulf in technology and culture between the crew and any new characters. This may mean that the Universal Translator simply won’t be able to translate new forms of language that it couldn’t be anticipated to understand.
Discovery has touched upon this before, of course, with the episode “An Obol for Charon,” seeing the Translator malfunctioning and the crew being unable to communicate. In the classic TNG episode “Darmok,” we see some of the limitations of the translator as well, as it cannot get to grips with the allegorical basis of an alien language. Elements like this may mean the crew could face a substantial language barrier when trying to deal with their new setting and that could play nicely into the show’s themes of cultural friction.
Or, of course, they may simply gloss over it. After all, the Universal Translator is capable of analyzing and learning new languages on the spot without having to be specifically programmed for that language.
Whatever the case, season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery looks like a nice jumping on point for the series and I can’t wait to check out a never-before-seen corner of the Trek universe. We don’t have an exact release date for the third season just yet, but it’s expected to hit CBS All Access this year. Watch this space for more.
More on this: 566 stories
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division
- Discovery Brings Back A Big Star Trek Element In Season 3
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Wil Wheaton's proud of Wesley's legacy
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Which Star Trek TOS Character Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Zodiac?
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December