Star Trek: Lower Decks Animated TV Show Release Date Set For August On CBS All Access
ViacomCBS announced that the animated comedy from Rick and Morty alum Mike McMahan, Star Trek: Lower Decks, will premiere on Thursday, August 6th, exclusively on CBS All Access. The series comes as part of an overall deal between CBS Television Studios and the showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery, Alex Kurtzman, who was tasked with producing several new series that would expand the current Star Trekuniverse past Discovery.
ViacomCBS confirmed that, after the premiere on August 6th, fans can catch new episodes of Star Trek: Lower Decks every Thursday on CBS All Access. The first season will consist of ten episodes. The animated series will take on a different tone compared to other Star Trek shows, focusing on the comedic adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos, a Starfleet ship more than several rings down the chain of command when compared to famous Star Trek ships like the Enterprise. True to it's namesake, the show will feature characters who work in the "lower decks," a part of the ship that is typically reserved for background characters in other Star Trek shows.
The show takes its name from what many consider to be one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The episode, titled "Lower Decks," subverted the typical Star Trek formula by focusing on the lower-ranking members of the Enterprise. McMahan confirmed that the series would take place during The Next Generation's era. Given the show's influence from The Next Generation and McMahan's work on shows like Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites, fans of Star Trek should be at ease that Star Trek: Lower Deckswill be a refreshing take on the franchise.
The press release reads, "Developed by Emmy Award-winner Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites), Star Trek: Lower Decks focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, in 2380. Ensigns Mariner, Boimler, Rutherford and Tendi have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies."
Star Trek: Lower Decks will premiere on August 6th on CBS All Access.
More on this: 506 stories
- TV review: Star Trek: Lower Decks is trying a little too hard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gives Its Lead a Secret Mission
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back Picard's Nemesis Car
- What's New to Stream on Hulu for August 2020
- Here's how Lower Decks connects to the wider Star Trek franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Cast Guide - Who Voices Each Character
- Star Trek: Lower Decks review: an animated show that hasn't found its comedic edge yet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Series Premiere Recap
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Recap, Season 1 Episode 1
- Lower Decks: Is Animation Star Trek's Next Frontier?
- REVIEW: Star Trek: Lower Decks Is a Clever, Fun Take on the Franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Animated Comedy Finds the Fun in Starfleet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Funny Without Forgetting Trek
- Superman's KRYPTON Still Exists in The Star Trek Universe
- Review: 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Broadly Goes Where No Trek Has Gone Before
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Review
- What Star Trek has taught us about diversity
- Star Trek: Lower Decks: All trekkies aren't excited about the animation
- Star Trek should not be a year-round franchise for All Access
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- CBS Reveals Michael Burnham's New Look For Star Trek: Discovery Season 3