Star Trek: Discovery Pike Spinoff Has 10 Episode Stories Planned
Work is well underway for the Star Trek: Discoveryspin-off Star Trek: Strange New Worldswith 10 stories already planned, confirms executive producer Alex Kurtzman. CBS All Access revived the Star Trekfranchise on television with Discovery back in 2016 and quickly found great success in its new stories. Discovery took place years before The Original Series and introduced fans to new characters like Sonequa Martin-Green's Michael Burnham. Season 2 of Discovery wrapped up well over a year ago in April 2019 and introduced iconic Star Trek characters like Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount), Number One (Rebecca Romijn), and Spock (Ethan Peck).Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
These introductions were so well-received by fans that CBS All Access decided to create a spin-off centered on the three characters. Strange New Worlds was officially announced back in May, along with the confirmation that it will focus on the adventures of the USS Enterprise years before the arrival of one James T. Kirk. Mount, Romijn, and Peck will all be back for this new series, which is said to take a more traditional, episodic approach to its storytelling.
During the Star Trek Universe Comic-Con@Home panel, Kurtzman gave an update on Strange New Worlds' progress. While things are still in the early stages, Kurtzman revealed the writers' room has already been formed, and they've broken the initial 10 stories. Kurtzman shared:
Kurtzman also joked that he wanted to tell fans about Strange New Worlds at the last Comic-Con, proving that this series has been in the works for some time now. Fans were certainly hopeful that Pike would receive his own spin-off, so the news was welcome. As for this update, it sounds like Strange New Worlds is on track to commence production sometime next year. The writers will need to finish the scripts for the first season, and when taking potential coronavirus-related issues into account, it makes sense that filming would start in 2021. Depending on when that happens, CBS All Access could release Strange New Worlds as early as 2022.
This further supports what Star Trek fans already know: They'll have a lot of new content coming in the next few years. Aside from the third season of Discovery, which has been carrying on post-production remotely, there's also the second season of Star Trek: Picard to look forward to. That's not even taking into account the animated shows that are in the works, as well as the other Discovery spin-off Section 31. However, even with all of this going on, it appears as though Strange New Worldsis a major priority for CBS All Access. With the first stories already set in place, the Enterprise is almost ready for action (again).
More on this: 506 stories
- TV review: Star Trek: Lower Decks is trying a little too hard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gives Its Lead a Secret Mission
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back Picard's Nemesis Car
- What's New to Stream on Hulu for August 2020
- Here's how Lower Decks connects to the wider Star Trek franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Cast Guide - Who Voices Each Character
- Star Trek: Lower Decks review: an animated show that hasn't found its comedic edge yet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Series Premiere Recap
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Recap, Season 1 Episode 1
- Lower Decks: Is Animation Star Trek's Next Frontier?
- REVIEW: Star Trek: Lower Decks Is a Clever, Fun Take on the Franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Animated Comedy Finds the Fun in Starfleet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Funny Without Forgetting Trek
- Superman's KRYPTON Still Exists in The Star Trek Universe
- Review: 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Broadly Goes Where No Trek Has Gone Before
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Review
- What Star Trek has taught us about diversity
- Star Trek: Lower Decks: All trekkies aren't excited about the animation
- Star Trek should not be a year-round franchise for All Access
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- CBS Reveals Michael Burnham's New Look For Star Trek: Discovery Season 3