Star Trek: Prodigy Announced, Coming To Nickelodeon In 2021
The Star Trek Universe panel at Comic-Con@Home brought a big announcement for the franchise’s latest TV series. We’ve known that CBS was partnering up with Nickelodeon to develop a new family-friendly CG-animated show for a while, but this afternoon we finally found out what it’s going to be called. Get ready for Star Trek: Prodigy.
As per its official logline, Prodigy “follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning, and salvation.” Trollhunters’ Kevin and Dan Hageman, who have earned Emmys for their work on that popular Netflix production, are serving as showrunners on the series and along with the title came the revelation that it will be airing on Nickelodeon sometime next year.
Check out the show’s official logo below:
Prodigy is just the latest way that ViacomCBS is trying to expand the Trek brand to cover every possible market. Next month, for example, will bring the premiere of Star Trek: Lower Decks, a new adult-oriented animated comedy that’s clearly going for the Rick & Morty market. There hasn’t been a Trek animated show since The Animated Series in the 1970s, so it’s a big deal that the franchise is entering back into that platform in a major way.
Producer Heather Kadin explained in 2019 that the show we now know to be called Prodigy is designed as an entry point into Trek for younger viewers.
Star Trek: Prodigy arrives next year. In the meantime, don’t miss Lower Decks on CBS All Access from August 6th.
More on this: 506 stories
- TV review: Star Trek: Lower Decks is trying a little too hard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gives Its Lead a Secret Mission
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back Picard's Nemesis Car
- What's New to Stream on Hulu for August 2020
- Here's how Lower Decks connects to the wider Star Trek franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Cast Guide - Who Voices Each Character
- Star Trek: Lower Decks review: an animated show that hasn't found its comedic edge yet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Series Premiere Recap
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Recap, Season 1 Episode 1
- Lower Decks: Is Animation Star Trek's Next Frontier?
- REVIEW: Star Trek: Lower Decks Is a Clever, Fun Take on the Franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Animated Comedy Finds the Fun in Starfleet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Funny Without Forgetting Trek
- Superman's KRYPTON Still Exists in The Star Trek Universe
- Review: 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Broadly Goes Where No Trek Has Gone Before
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Review
- What Star Trek has taught us about diversity
- Star Trek: Lower Decks: All trekkies aren't excited about the animation
- Star Trek should not be a year-round franchise for All Access
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- CBS Reveals Michael Burnham's New Look For Star Trek: Discovery Season 3