How Star Trek Discovery Season 2's Pike Vision Set Up the Spinoff
Anson Mount explains how Pike's visions in Star Trek: Discovery season 2 will set up the spinoff show, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The spinoff follows Captain Pike, Number One, and Spock who have been left behind in the 23rd century after the rest of the Discovery crew warped to the far future. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was officially announced earlier this year, and it's the latest in a growing line of Star Trek shows for CBS All-Access, boosting the streaming service's stable of original content.
In Discovery season 2, Captain Pike goes to the planet Boreth to retrieve a time crystal needed by the Discovery's crew to send the remaining sphere data into the future away from Section 31. Pike is warned that taking a crystal will require a great sacrifice, which the crystal then shows him. Here fans are shown exactly how Pike received his injuries from the original series Star Trek pilot episode. Pike comes face to face with his future self who is left horribly disfigured in his black wheelchair pod. Despite seeing this Pike takes the crystal anyway, sacrificing himself for the sake of the galaxy.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
At the Stark Trek Universe panel for SDCC@Home, Mount discussed what that turn of events means for the upcoming Strange New Worlds spinoff. Pike is in the unique position where he knows what will eventually happen to him, and he has to live with that knowledge:
Pike will continue on his journey in the knowledge that the universe is safe for now and Number One and Spock will face their new lives with the memories and knowledge that they gained from their time with Discovery. Known for his noble and self-sacrificing nature, fans can expect to see a Captain Pike that is suddenly left with the knowledge that these specific traits will be his end. Pike’s future will weigh heavily on him, which will force his hand in many decisions to come as his time runs out. With Number One and Spock at his side, the three of them will surrender to the unknown together as their mission continues.
The iconic character’s original appearance sparked a desire in fans to see just who this man really was and why he only received one episode. Pike has since then been portrayed in many ways through various actors, however in each iteration he is represented as a kind and fearless leader who will go out of his way to keep everyone around him safe. Due to these traits, after decades of waiting, fans will finally get to see the spinoff that Pike deserved. With ten years remaining until his accident with the delta rays Pike will continue their mission to seek out new life and civilizations, to explore strange new worlds, and boldly go where no one has gone before.
More on this: 506 stories
- TV review: Star Trek: Lower Decks is trying a little too hard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gives Its Lead a Secret Mission
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back Picard's Nemesis Car
- What's New to Stream on Hulu for August 2020
- Here's how Lower Decks connects to the wider Star Trek franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Cast Guide - Who Voices Each Character
- Star Trek: Lower Decks review: an animated show that hasn't found its comedic edge yet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Series Premiere Recap
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Recap, Season 1 Episode 1
- Lower Decks: Is Animation Star Trek's Next Frontier?
- REVIEW: Star Trek: Lower Decks Is a Clever, Fun Take on the Franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Animated Comedy Finds the Fun in Starfleet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Funny Without Forgetting Trek
- Superman's KRYPTON Still Exists in The Star Trek Universe
- Review: 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Broadly Goes Where No Trek Has Gone Before
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Review
- What Star Trek has taught us about diversity
- Star Trek: Lower Decks: All trekkies aren't excited about the animation
- Star Trek should not be a year-round franchise for All Access
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- CBS Reveals Michael Burnham's New Look For Star Trek: Discovery Season 3