Star Trek: Short Treks Nominated for Emmy Award for Outstanding Short Form Comedy or Drama Series
Star Trek: Short Treks is nominated for the Emmy Award for Outstanding Short Form Comedy Or Drama Series. Leslie Jones announced the award nominations on Tuesday morning. Short Treks is nominated again two Quibi series in Most Dangerous Game and Reno 911! Other nominees include NBC's The Good Place Presents: The Selection and AMC's Better Call Saul Employee Training: Legal Ethics With Kim Wexler. Star Trek: Short Treks are approximately 10 to 15 minute stand-alone short stories that allow fans to dive deeper into the key themes and characters that fit into Star Trek: Discovery and the expanding Star Trek universe.
The Short Treks episodes released in 2019 offered a chance for fans to spend more time with the crew of the USS Enterprise that debuted in Star Trek: Discovery's second season. They appeared in the episodes "Q&A," "Ask Not," and "The Trouble with Edward," the last of those being the series' first attempt at a full-on comedy episode.
It also featured two animated episodes in "The Girl Who Made the Stars" and "Ephraim and Dot." Its latest entry, "Children of Mars," served as a prelude to Star Trek: Picard, which earned five Emmy nominations.
Star Trek: Short Treks is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. Executive producers on the series include Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Akiva Goldsman, Olatunde Osunsanmi, Frank Siracusa, John Weber, Rod Roddenberry, and Trevor Roth.
In 2019, ComicBook.com spoke to Anson Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike, about what opportunities Short Treks offered that he didn't get in Star Trek: Discovery. I guess that the thing that I liked about it, is that, It's funny to play a role, to begin with," he said. "And to be somebody else, you play make-believe for a living. But then to play somebody who's playing a role with such high stakes, and then to have to figure out what is going on internally with Pike, rather than what he's showing on the surface, immediately calls into question the relationship between his dedication to Starfleet and his humanity. It's a fairly harsh thing that he's putting this cadet through, but ultimately necessary. And so just from the acting perspective, I found that to be an interesting tightrope walk to try and create and walk. And yeah, I do believe that it explores the relationship between Pike's dedication and Pike's humanity."
All of Star Trek: Short Treks are available to stream on CBS All Access. All but "Children of Mars" were released in a Blu-ray collection in June. "Children of Mars" is included in the Star Trek: Picard Season One home media release, which goes on sale in October.
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.
More on this: 506 stories
- TV review: Star Trek: Lower Decks is trying a little too hard
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Gives Its Lead a Secret Mission
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back Picard's Nemesis Car
- What's New to Stream on Hulu for August 2020
- Here's how Lower Decks connects to the wider Star Trek franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Cast Guide - Who Voices Each Character
- Star Trek: Lower Decks review: an animated show that hasn't found its comedic edge yet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Series Premiere Recap
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Premiere Recap, Season 1 Episode 1
- Lower Decks: Is Animation Star Trek's Next Frontier?
- REVIEW: Star Trek: Lower Decks Is a Clever, Fun Take on the Franchise
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Animated Comedy Finds the Fun in Starfleet
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Review: Funny Without Forgetting Trek
- Superman's KRYPTON Still Exists in The Star Trek Universe
- Review: 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Broadly Goes Where No Trek Has Gone Before
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Review
- What Star Trek has taught us about diversity
- Star Trek: Lower Decks: All trekkies aren't excited about the animation
- Star Trek should not be a year-round franchise for All Access
- Star Trek: All 3 Characters Played By David Warner
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Reveals New Starfleet Insignia
- Garrett Wang on Returning to Sci-Fi With Unbelievable!!!!! [Exclusive Interview]
- In Case You Were Wondering, William Shatner Knows Exactly What 'Star Trek' Slash Fiction Is
- Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Says The Next Generation Era Is A Playground
- CBS Reveals Michael Burnham's New Look For Star Trek: Discovery Season 3