Star Trek: Lower Decks boss confirms return of "legacy" franchise characters in season 1
Star Trek: Lower Decks viewers should watch closely for some very familiar characters from the past.
The animated comedy series, which released this week on CBS All Access in the US, is set on the service decks of the Starfleet cruiser U.S.S. Cerritos in the year 2380.
As any super-fan of Trek lore will know, the timeline places Star Trek: Lower Decks just one year after the conclusion of the Next Generation movie Nemesis and around five years before the flashbacks from Picard.
Because of its proximity to the Next Generation canon, Lower Decks creator Mike McMahan says he was given approval to use some "legacy" characters.
"We do have legacy actors who show up in the first season of Lower Decks and we have gotten to have a little bit of where are they now sort of vibe through a Lower Decks lens," he explained to Inverse.
"But I gotta say, if anyone wants Mariner to show up on their live-action Star Treks, you've got to have Tawny [Newsome]."
McMahan's latest comments are especially interesting since he previously hinted at the possibility of Next Generation characters, specifically, popping up in Lower Decks.
"There are a lot of recognisable characters in the galaxy at that point. Next Gen is my favourite era," he told EW over the summer. "And as a huge Trek fan, I would definitely want to try to use some of them so that I could not only build out the world, but also work with some of my heroes."
Star Trek: Lower Decks is now streaming on CBS All Access in the US.
Digital Spy has launched its first-ever digital magazine with exclusive features, interviews, and videos. Access this edition with a 1-month free trial, only on Apple News+.
Interested in Digital Spy's weekly newsletter? Sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks