Star Trek Theatrical Relaunch Is a Priority for Paramount
The Star Trek films have been defined by their ups and downs, and now Paramount Pictures is looking to get them on the "up" side again. Paramount film chief Emma Watts has made the Star Trek franchise her top priority and is exploring several avenues for the property.
There is currently potential in several Trek film projects, which are in various stages of development. A fourth film set in the Kelvin timeline would have reunited Chris Pine's Kirk with his father George, played by Chris Hemsworth, but it was put aside due to director S.J. Clarkson pursing other projects and a pay negotiation breaking down between the actors and the studio.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Other possibilities for bringing Star Trek back to the big screen include a film written by The Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith and potentially helmed by Quentin Tarantino, and a film written and directed by Noah Hawley of Fargo and Legion. Both projects have been put on the back burner, though Paramount is looking to potentially launch them as standalone films in the vein of Marvel's Logan.
Star Trek has recently enjoyed a resurgence due to the CBS All Access streaming service. The first series to premiere was Star Trek: Discovery, which will see its third season debut this year. Star Trek: Picard also premiered this year to critical acclaim, and this week saw the premiere of the animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division