Tarantino’s “Star Trek” Is Full Of Mobsters
In the wake of yesterday’s report about all three new “Star Trek” films in development being on indefinite hold until Paramount Pictures decides which one to proceed with, more details about one of them has emerged.
Specifically the R-rated pitch by filmmaker Quentin Tarantino who came up with and developed a story idea that “The Revenant” scribe Mark L. Smith then wrote into a draft. Deadline reports that those who’ve seen the draft say it is “based on an episode of the classic ‘Star Trek’ series that takes place largely earthbound in a 1930s gangster setting” and would be seen more as a “Logan”-esque spin-off than a direct sequel in the main series.
The description is likely to be referring to “A Piece of the Action,” a second season episode in which the Enterprise crew visits the planet Sigma Iotia II where an Earth ship disappeared a century before. Beaming down, the crew find themselves in a city fashioned after 1920s Chicago complete with tommy gun-wielding mobsters. Ultimately its determined one of the missing ship’s dead crew had a mobster-themed period novel onboard which the local population modelled their society on.
Tarantino previously described his take as a “Pulp Fiction in space” but also very Trek – the premise allowing for exploration of the Federation’s prime directive and cultural contamination, and the mostly gangster setting allowing them to cut down on visual effects (and budget) whilst emphasising dialogue and humor. Plus tying into an old episode of the original series has worked before like with “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan”.
Tarantino confirmed his departure from serving as a potential director on the project in January, saying: “I think they might make that movie, but I just don’t think I’m going to direct it. It’s a good idea. They should definitely do it and I’ll be happy to come in and give them some notes on the first rough cut.”
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks