Star Trek EP Says He Wants To Do A Musical Episode
CBS is in the midst of expanding the Star Trekfranchise in brand new ways. Take the just-premiered Star Trek: Lower Decks, for example, the first ever half-hour comedy in the Trek universe and only its second ever animated series. There’s also the short-form anthology show Star Trek: Short Treks, which allows for all kinds of stories to be told week to week. In fact, if EP Alex Kurtzman has his way, it could feature another big first for the franchise in its next run: a musical episode.
Short Treks recently picked itself up an Emmy nomination, so it seems a good bet that another season will be on the way. And while speaking to Gold Derby, Kurtzman – who effectively serves as the architect behind all CBS All Access’ contemporary Trek programming – revealed that he fully intends to keep pushing the boundaries of what they can do within Short Treks‘ anthology format. He listed off a few potential ideas, but the most eyebrow-raising has to be the notion of an all-singing, all-dancing episode.
While it seems like a musical episode is just a pipe-dream of Kurtzman’s at the moment, we’ve certainly got all kinds of Trek content on the way. Starting with last week’s Lower Decks pilot, there are a whopping 23 straight weeks of Trek ahead of us. Following the conclusion of the animated show’s first season, the third run of Star Trek: Discoverykicks off the next week on October 15th.
And, after that, there’s Star Trek: Prodigydue in 2021, a children’s CG-animated series headed to Nickelodeon, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, starring Anson Mount’s Captain Pike, and Star Trek: Picard season 2. With so much Star Trekcoming, maybe a musical episode slipping in there somewhere isn’t too crazy, after all.
Source: Gold Derby
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks