Kurtzman Wants More Short Treks
Alex Kurtzman, speaking with Gold Derby about his Emmy nomination for Star Trek: Short Treks, hopes that the Emmy nomination will lead to more Short Treks being made.
“They’re like little O. Henry stories,” said Kurtzman, describing Short Treks. “There’s the story that presents itself, but then there’s kind of a twist at the end that reframes what you’ve been watching the whole time.”
Star Trek: Short Treks was an “amazing experiment” which let the creators find “different tones and different styles and start pushing at the boundaries of what Star Trek feels like it can be.”
When asked if there would be more Short Treks made, Kurtzman said, “Thanks to the Emmy nomination, I’m really hoping so.” Kurtzman would like to make a short musical, and a black-and-white film, among other ideas.
“I could probably think of fifty different ways that we could tell stories,” said Kurtzman; “in fifty different little crevices of the Star Trek universe to explore, that may not be the right kind of crevices for the larger shows, but we always think of the Short Treks as scenes just as important as what’s going on in the main shows — but that you wouldn’t have time [to include them].”
So what about the rest of his Star Trek world? “We have been running all of our writers’ rooms on Zoom,” he said. “The silver lining is that we have actually been able to get quite ahead in scripts for upcoming seasons of Discovery, and Picard, and Strange New Worlds, which is going to be shooting next year, and Section 31.
Kurtzman is a man who loves his job. “It’s exhilarating, it’s terrifying, it’s wonderful, it’s joyful,” he said. “This is the job you dream of having as a kid.”
Source: Gold Derby
What do you think? Chat with other fans in the at The Trek BBS.
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks