Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 Now In Development, Strange New Worlds Shoots In 2021
Everything seemed uncertain over in the Star Trek camp for a few months there, but now it all appears to be back on track over at CBS. With Lower Decks premiering last week, we’ve got 23 straight weeks of Trek goodness ahead of us, as Star Trek: Discoveryseason 3 premieres immediately after its conclusion. But what about after that? What’s the plan for Trek programming going into 2021?
Well, EP Alex Kurtzman has given us an enlightening update on this front while speaking with Gold Derby about all things Trek. He explained that, while the pandemic slowed down production, the scripting process has been progressing undeterred all this time and that means the writers are on top of things for all the upcoming shows.
With DIS season 3 long since shot, Kurtzman must be referring to season 4, which is actually our first official confirmation that it’s happening. That being said, it’s previously been reported that it’s been renewed up to season 5. He also tells us that Strange New Worlds will be entering production next year, possibly in the earlier part of 2021. What’s more, Section 31 is clearly still going forward as well, despite rumors that it had been quietly canned.
During the DIS virtual panel at Comic-Con@Home, Kurtzman revealed that ten episodes of SNW have already been mapped out, though it’s not entirely clear if this means it’ll have a 10-episode season or more scripts are yet to be completed. The producer doesn’t clarify when Picard season 2 could get going, either, but star Jeri Ryan has previously said it’s looking to start filming later this year.
Star Trek: Discovery season 3, meanwhile, premieres on CBS All Access on October 15th.
Source: Gold Derby
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks