Star Trek: TNG: Jonathan Frakes thought writers had given up on Riker and Troi
For seven years on Star Trek: TNG, the relationship between Riker and Troi was unclear
When Star Trek: TNG first introduced Counselor Troi (Marina Sirtis) and Commander Riker (Jonathan Frakes), it seemed as though the writers had plans for the couple. They’d shared a romantic history, and it was clear the feelings were still there. Although they shared a few kisses here and there over the course of the series, they were left mostly at limbo until Star Trek: Nemesis when the couple finally married.
Admittedly, the marriage seemed a little rushed, considering when Star Trek: TNG ended, Troi was still in a relationship with Worf. The ending to that relationship was never explained nor was any reason given why Troi and Riker couldn’t be together during Star Trek: TNG’s run. Frakes feels as though the romance between Troi and Riker was put aside so that the two could be available to have other relationships while aboard the Enterprise.
There was so much chemistry between Sirtis and Frakes that it confused fans why the two were kept apart. Frakes has said he thought the writers had given up on the couple.
So when Star Trek: Picard offered Frakes and Sirtis the opportunity to return as a happily married couple, the pair took it as a vindication that their relationship was meant to be.
Loose ends often get left at the end of televisions shows. Romantic entanglements can be left dangling, and relationships open to interpretation. Thankfully, Star Trek: Picard offered Frakes and Troi a chance to show dedicated fans that Riker and Troi remained together and presumably will for the future.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division