Star Trek: Lower Decks EP Reveals The Two Characters He Wishes Could Appear
Star Trek: Lower Decksmight be a zany animated comedy, but it’s also very keen to respect Trek canon and is effectively a loving homage to The Next Generation. Season 1 of the just-debuted show is set in 2380, which means it takes place one year after Star Trek: Nemesis. This opens the door for various familiar characters to drop by, something which has been teased before, but it also means that some of the characters the creators really want to use they can’t. At least, not without breaking canon.
The Lower Decks creative team took part in a virtual panel via ReedPop’s The Metaverse recently and during this chat, showrunner Mike McMahan revealed two characters he wishes he could get into the series but unfortunately can’t, due to its place in Trek continuity. First of all, he would love to have Star Trek: Enterprise’s T’Pol feature. However, he thinks that, though Vulcans have long lives, it just doesn’t add up that she would still be active by this time.
Secondly, McMahan obliquely revealed the other character he wants to use but can’t. “There’s a character that’s off with The Traveler that I really wish wasn’t,” he explained, “so we could utilize that character.” This is obviously Wesley Crusher, who was last seen resigning from Starfleet after learning that his destiny lied elsewhere, with The Traveler then taking him under his wing.
So far, no big name guest stars have actually appeared on the series, but we’re only two episodes in and we’ve already got a few notable name-checks – e.g. a reference to “the Janeway Protocol” and Mariner’s cry of “Kirk hands!” during a fight. We don’t know which characters could be popping up in the incoming episodes, but we clearly don’t expect Will Wheaton or Jolene Blalock to return.
Don’t miss Star Trek: Lower Decks as it continues Thursdays on CBS All Access.
Source: The Metaverse
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division