Kurtzman: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Like Original Series
While promoting another Trek series, Star Trek: Short Treks, Alex Kurtzman commented on Strange New Worlds, which will feature Anson Mount as Captain Pike, Ethan Peck as Spock, and Rebecca Romijn as Number One.
Strange New Worlds will be more like the original series than like later Trek. “I think Strange New Worlds, under the guidance of Henry Myers and Akiva Goldsman, it’s going to be a return in a way to TOS,” he said. “We are going to do stand-alone episodes. There will be emotional serialization. There will be two-parters. There will be larger plot arcs. But it really is back to the model of alien-of-the-week, planet-of-the-week, challenge-on-the-ship-of-the-week. With these characters pre-Kirk’s Enterprise.
“I think what people responded so much to in all three characters is this kind of relentless optimism that they have. And that they are at the young phase of their careers and Pike you know has experienced this extraordinary trauma, which is which he is famous for.”
How can Captain Pike be optimistic though, when he already knows his terrible fate? “The idea is, how does a character who knows how he is going to die live optimistically from that point on and lead a ship? It’s a great question. I have never seen a show where a character knew that already. You have to have an inherent optimism in your world view in order to say, ‘I am going to get up every morning knowing how it is going to end for me.’ And still lead everybody to be the best versions of themselves.”
What do you think? Chat with other fans in the at The Trek BBS.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division