Star Trek: Lower Decks Names a Maneuver After a Fan-Favorite Starfleet Captain
WARNING: The following article contains spoilers for Season 1, Episode 2 of Star Trek: Lower Decks, "Envoys," now streaming on CBS All Access.
In the latest episode of Star Trek: Lower Decks, Ensign Sam Rutherford considers changing career paths after deciding to move on from engineering to be closer to D'Vana Tendi. While trying to work in a different division of the U.S.S. Cerritos, Rutherford trades his suit to try the other uniforms of Starfleet.
As he hops from one position to the next, Rutherford puts in some training time in the Holodeck, where he practices his skills at ship command with the Cerritos' first officer, Commander Jack Ransom. It's during this practice session that Lower Decks name drops a fan-favorite Starfleet Captain, Kathryn Janeway.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Janeway was the Captain of the Starfleet ship the U.S.S. Voyager, and she was the star of Star Trek: Voyager, which ran after The Next Generation had reached its end. Janeway may not be a name as familiar as Picard or Kirk to casual Trek fans, but to devoted fans of the franchise, she is one of the most popular characters thanks to her steadfast nature. At the helm of the U.S.S. Voyager, Janeway went on many adventures, and she proved how brave and determined she was.
Now, Star Trek: Lower Decks honors Janeway by naming a starship maneuver after her. In fact, when Rutherford is practicing his command skills with Ransom in the Holodeck, he is rapidly plunged in a catastrophic situation where the lives of his entire crew are put in jeopardy. Rutherford fails the training exercise, and Ransom casually advises him that next time something like this occurs, he should try using something called the "Janeway Protocol."
Ransom doesn't go into the details of this special maneuver, but the surname of the Starfleet Captain it is named after is sure to be picked up on by fans. It's a brief nod to the U.S.S. Voyager Captain, but it shows that she has made quite an impact in the halls of the Federation. Perhaps, as the series progresses, viewers will get to see this "Janeway Protocol" in action.
Star Trek: Lower Decks stars Tawny Newsome as Ensign Beckett Mariner, Eugene Cordero as Ensign Rutherford, Jack Quaid as Ensign Brad Boimler, Noël Wells as Ensign Tendi, Dawnn Lewis as Captain Carol Freeman, Jerry O'Connell as Commander Jack Ransom, Gillian Vigman as Doctor T'Ana and Fred Tatasciore as Lieutenant Shaxs. New episodes premiere Thursdays on CBS All Access.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division