Star Trek: Short Treks S2 streaming for free, other shows should too
The folks at ViacomCBS have decided to stream the most recent season of Star Trek: Short Treks for free, a practice that should involve all Trek shows.
As part of their Emmy campaign, the entire second season of Star Trek: Short Treks have been made free to stream on YouTube. The series will also be available on CBS.com, CBS’ mobile apps and are only available for free for those in the United States. It’s a huge move by ViacomCBS and one that should hopefully get more eyes on the product than ever before.
It’s also a smart move, not just for its Emmy chances, but also for the fact that a big issue with new-Star Trek is the constant complaints of the paywall. While the merger of Viacom and CBS will allow the soon-to-be-renamed CBS All Access an opportunity to have a lot more content fans want to see, as of right now it doesn’t offer enough beyond Star Trek for most fans of the franchise to sink money into.
One of the things that would benefit the brand going forward and may win some fans back, if not make new ones outright, would be the decision to release seasons for free. While putting it on Paramount Network as first-run programming or any other Viacom owned channel would be the most welcoming idea, just releasing them for free at all six months or so after these episodes premiere would be a welcome idea.
Services like Pluto TV already have aired select CBS All Access Star Trek content, and putting the first season of Star Trek: Picard, the first two seasons of Star Trek: Discovery and the first season of Star Trek: Short Treks on there would be a nice gesture from a massive corporation to the fans.
It won’t erase every complaint or critique the franchise has had thrown at it since 2017 but it may be enough to get some fans back.
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks