William Shatner Says He’s Fine If He Never Appears With Chris Pine In A Star Trek Movie
At one point, a Star Trek movie with Chris Pine and William Shatner playing separate versions of Captain James T. Kirk was a real possibility. After Leonard Nimoy reprised his role as Spock in 2009’s Star Trek reboot and its sequel Into Darkness, the fans were clamouring for Shatner to be handed a similar cameo in the next instalment, and the actor himself made no secret of his desire for this to happen.
Sadly, however, with the franchise’s immediate future on the big screen in limbo, the chances of a double Kirk offering featuring Pine and the man who made the role famous are looking slimmer by the day, but Shatner appears to have made his peace with that. Responding to a fan question on Twitter, the veteran actor admitted that such a project is unlikely to ever happen, and he was quick to assure Trekkies that he’s okay with it.
Although it would have been nice if they’d found a role for Shatner in 2016’s Star Trek Beyond, given that its launch coincided with the series’ 50th anniversary, it would have taken skilled writing to bring him back following his character’s death in Generations. Perhaps he could have played a Kirk from another timeline or a version that was resurrected using Borg technology, though?
In any case, Beyond‘s underperformance at the box office has cast doubt on whether we’ll even see Pine play Kirk again. Plans for a fourth entry in the rebooted series appear to be on hold, although talk of the long-mooted spinoff movie helmed by Quentin Tarantino seems to crop up from time to time.
No doubt there will be another Star Trek film at some point, regardless of whether Pine and co. reprise their roles, and the franchise is still going strong on the small screen, with Star Trek: Picard returning for another season and Star Trek: Discovery remaining popular. But for Shatner’s Kirk in the movies, Generations was likely the final frontier.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division