New Rumor Says More Star Trek Shows Cancelled, Including Picard
There’s unease in the world of Star Trek today as rumors swirl that there’s due to be a major shakeup behind the scenes at CBS. This apparently springs from Paramount film chief Emma Watson wanting to take control of the franchise away from current producer Alex Kurtzman.
The story goes that Star Trek: Prodigy, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Short Treksand Star Trek: Picard are all cancelled, that Discovery will be wrapped up at the end of season 3 and that Strange New Worlds might undergo a change in production staff.
If true, this would explode the future of Star Trek as we know it and amount to practically killing off the franchise. But you may want to hold off on worrying just yet, as this information comes from *checks notes* uh… an anonymous post on 4chan.
Well, I don’t know how much stock anyone reading this puts on 4Chan, but as a source of information on the future, it’s right up there with tea leaves, tarot cards and inspecting the entrails of sacrificed animals (actually, to be fair to haruspicy, it at least foretold the Ides of March). I mean, even 4Chan users seem skeptical, pointing out that:
Is any of this true? Well, probably not. It’s likely made up by some random person on the internet who has a weird bone to pick with Alex Kurtzman. Everything I’ve seen indicates that Star Trek is doing very well for CBS at the moment, particularly in driving new subscribers to CBS All Access. I mean, if the shows are secretly unmitigated disasters for them, why are they commissioning so many?
That doesn’t necessarily mean I think these series are amazing, however. The first two episodes of Lower Decks were terrible and the prognosis isn’t good for the rest, Discovery has been wildly unevenand Picard felt like it had been rushed through production (though had a lot of good stuff in it). Still, if you don’t like modern Star Trek, then don’t make up stupid stories online. Rather, do the traditional angry Star Trek fan thing and write some embarrassing fan-fiction.
Source: Bounding Into Comics
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks