Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Will Drop Intricate, Season-Long Arcs in Favor of Standalone Episode Stories
Both Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard had strayed from the franchise's long-established formula of episodic, standalone stories for story arcs that instead loom across entire seasons to tell an overarching narrative. However, according to Star Trek producer Alex Kurtzman, who helms CBS' new wave of programming for the iconic science-fiction franchise, this won't be the case for the upcoming series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
While there will be overarching character arcs, the new series will harken back to the franchise's roots of focusing on stories that are self-contained within one to two episodes.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
"I think Strange New Worlds, under the guidance of Henry Myers and Akiva Goldsman, is going to be a return, in a way, to [The Original Series]. We’re going to do stand-alone episodes. There will be emotional serialization. There will be two-parters," Kurtzman told Deadline. "There will be larger plot arcs, but it really is back to the model of alien of the week, planet of the week, challenge on the ship of the week with these characters pre-Kirk’s Enterprise."
Details on Strange New Worlds remain under wraps, including a planned start for production, but the series will be set after Discovery Season 2 and the start of The Original Series. Stars Anson Mount and Ethan Peck hinted that both of their characters will be informed by their experiences from the second season of Discovery moving forward as they return to captain the Enterprise for its ongoing exploratory mission.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds stars Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn. The series has yet to receive a premiere date.
More on this: 558 stories
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division
- Discovery Brings Back A Big Star Trek Element In Season 3
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Wil Wheaton's proud of Wesley's legacy
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Which Star Trek TOS Character Is Your Soulmate, Based On Your Zodiac?
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020