Remembering Gene Roddenberry on his 99th birthday
Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, left behind a lasting legacy that will never fade away
In 1966, Gene Roddenberry opened the doors to a new universe, one that had yet to be revealed. And while the viewing public didn’t immediately take to Star Trek: The Original Series, it would soon become a phenomenon that would lead to over fifty years of exploring the galaxy.
Roddenberry lived to see the launch of Star Trek, Star Trek: The Animated Series, and Star Trek: The Next Generation before passing away in 1991. But his imprint remained on those series and the following motion pictures as well as Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise.
ThoughTrek has changed a lot since Roddenberry passed away, his name will always remain a part of this universe simply because he put pen to paper and created Captain Kirk, Spock, and Dr. McCoy, a script that would launch hundreds of careers, earn millions of dollars over the course of five decades, and provide hours upon hours of entertainment.
Unfortunately, too many fans did not get the opportunity to meet the man behind some of our favorite characters and shows which is our loss. I know I would have personally loved the chance to thank him in person for these stories, this world he created, that has made a difference in my life.
Because of Gene Roddenberry, I fell in love with Star Trek and now, many, many years later, I get to write about my continued fascination with this universe. While the new iterations of Trek haven’t been perfect, it hasn’t changed my dedication to this franchise.
Happy Birthday, Gene Roddenberry, and thank you for giving us the fascinating world of Star Trek.
More on this: 569 stories
- Are the Star Trek Movies Cancelled or Not?
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Pitched the Ultimate Q Adventure for His Movies
- Star Trek Director Wanted Q In Next Generation Movies
- Doctor Who vs. Star Trek: Which UNIVERSE Is More Dangerous?
- Star Trek Discovery: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Kelpiens
- Star Trek: celebrate your victories with a bottle of Klingon Bloodwine
- Patrick Stewart & Mark Hamill Face-Off In Bizarre Uber Eats Commercial
- Paramount Breaks The Silence On Rumors Of No More Star Trek Movies
- Paramount's Reportedly Given Up On Making Star Trek Movies
- Paramount Reportedly Still Making Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- No More Star Trek Movies? Future Of Franchise May Be Strictly Television
- Star Trek 4 Rumored To Be Cancelled, No More Movies In Development
- Star Wars' Mark Hamill, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart Face Off in Uber Eats Commercial
- Star Trek 6 Still Holds A Franchise Record 30 Years Later
- Mark Hamill and Sir Patrick Stewart row over tomatoes in UberEats ad
- A cat named Grudge is beaming into 'Star Trek: Discovery' season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Best Costumes, Ranked
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Villains, Ranked
- Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
- Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway is Pirate Queen of The Mirror Universe
- New Star Trek Movie Reboot Is an Argument for Why All Humanity Should Unite
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Remixes an Iconic Line From the Franchise
- Star Trek TNG Almost Had A Different Data
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Introduces a New Starfleet Division