Film Residuals From Four Star Trek Films, The Crow 2 and More Are Up for Auction
The rights are being sold by the Directors' Guild of America on Royalty Exchange, an online trader of intellectual property assets.
Residuals are the proceeds generated when a film or TV show is re-presented in other media after its first run in theaters or on television — including streaming, cable TV showings, VHS or DVD sales and TV syndication. Royalty Exchange said this bundle of films generated an average of $3,400 a year over the past six years. It generated $5,598 two years ago, the highest of the six-year period.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
This bundle of films, all released between 1976 and 2002, includes Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis. These four represent 61 percent of the proceeds. Also included are crime thriller Along Came a Spider and sci-fi thriller Futureworld. First Contact is the biggest earner of the bunch, bringing in 19 percent of the total.
Bidders are cautioned that payments are not on a schedule and "historic royalty income" is no predictor of how much these films might generate in the future.
The starting price was $15,000, and bids were above $35,000 at this writing. The auction ends Sept. 8.About The Author
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks