Patrick Stewart Says Gene Roddenberry Never Liked Him As Jean-Luc Picard
Patrick Stewart’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard is one of the most beloved characters in Star Trek. Indeed, the way the actor conveys his humanism, diplomacy and intelligence has led many to consider him the epitome of Star Trek‘s philosophy and morality. But, as it turns out, original creator Gene Roddenberry didn’t want Stewart to get the role, didn’t have a good relationship with him and never understood why he was so well liked.
The story came out in a recent roundtable in which Stewart participated. Here, he revealed his awkward first audition for the part, explaining:
Producers Robert Justman and Rick Berman disagreed, pushing for Stewart to get the role against Roddenberry’s complaints. According to Stewart, though, even after settling into the job, Roddenberry was never happy with him.
Still, he clearly respected Roddenberry and tried his best to form a relationship with him. But those efforts amounted to a single lunch.
Roddenberry died in 1991 and never saw how much the Star Trek community embraced The Next Generation crew and particularly, Patrick Stewart. Perhaps if he’d seen some of his best episodes he might have come around, but I suppose we’ll never know. For now, though, the character lives on (albeit now as some kind of robot) and his adventures will continue in season 2 of Star Trek: Picard, which will probably land in late 2021/early 2022.
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew