Star Trek Celebrating 54th Anniversary With A Bang
Celebrate this Star Trek anniversary.
It may be hard to believe, but next week, it will have been 54 years since the original Star Trek series debuted in the US. To celebrate the pop culture icon, on 8 September, CBS has online events planned that will take place over 24 hours. The current home of all things Star Trek announced that there will be several panels, a Star Trek marathon, a Twitch pub quiz and more.
The panels will serve as the focal point for the celebration, encompassing 9 discussions over the course of three and a half hours with Wil Wheaton (TNG’s Wesley Crusher) and Mica Burton (Daughter of LeVar Burton) splitting hosting duties throughout the event. Every iteration of Trek from the last 54 years will be represented in the panels, to include the newest inductees, Star Trek: Picard and Star Trek: Lower Decks, as well as the yet-to-be-released show, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
While some actors from every show have been included in the panels, there’s already a bit of drama behind the scenes, as it seems Marina Sirtis, who returned to her TNG role of Deanna Troi for Star Trek: Picard, was not invited to participate. Jonathan Frakes, who also returned to his TNG role of Will Riker for Picard will attend that panel, along with Patrick Stewart.
A franchise that has always prided itself on diversity and inclusion, CBS also announced that Star Trek: Discovery season 3 will introduce the first non-binary and transgender characters in franchise history. In an interview with GLAAD, Barrio revealed that they are being introduced alongside Ian Alexander (The OA and The Last of Us Part II), who will be playing a trill. When we meet them, both Barrio and Alexander are suffering from memory loss. As such, the audience will be learning about the characters right along with them.
Discovery star, Anthony Rapp, tweeted support for the announcement. “I cannot wait for you all to meet these beautiful souls and wonderful artists,” he said. “I am so so so proud of them and happy that they are a part of our show.”
There was one other big announcement from CBS. For every person that tweets #StarTrekUnitedGives on 8 September, CBS All Access will donate $1 towards “organizations who do the real-world work of championing equality, social justice and the pursuit of scientific advancements.” The organizations included in the donation are the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME) and the Equal Justice Initiative. That fundraising will go all the way through 11:59pm PST.
It’s shaping up to be a helluva celebration. If you’re a fan of Trek, there’s more of it on television than you can shake a stick at. Getting to spend 24 hours with some of your favorite stars and shows is awesome enough. Being able to support worthy causes is just icing on the cake. Now, if only they could get their film franchise moving again…
BUT, WHAT DO YOU THINK!? Will you be taking part in the celebration? Let us know in the comments below!
Continue the LRM Online conversation on Discord by CLICKING HERE!
Have you checked out LRM Online’s official podcast feed yet The LRM Online Podcast Network? This includes our flagship podcast Breaking Geek Radio: The Podcast, GeekScholars Movie News, and our morning show LRMornings. Check it out by listening below. It’s also available on all your favorite podcast apps!
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew