George Takei believes a Sulu spinoff would have been a galactic success
George Takei’s character, Sulu, on Star Trek: The Original Series didn’t have a lot to do beyond sitting at the console aboard the Enterprise.
The part he played on Star Trek: The Original Series might be considered iconic to some fans, but to George Takei, he has no compunction saying what he feels about his role. In an interview with StarTrek.com, Takei revealed his favorite episode of the series as The Naked Time because it got him out from behind the console and showed he could do other things.
Although The Naked Time is his favorite episode, Takei doesn’t remember all the details clearly as he says “Spock falls in love” and “McCoy becomes lachrymose.” In actuality, Spock is the one who becomes prone to crying, and Dr. McCoy was never really affected by the virus. But, in all fairness, Takei did have a sword to contend with along with the excitement of being out from behind the console so it’s understandable if he wasn’t paying attention to the other aspects of the episode.
In the interview the actor goes on to say that after the final Star Trek movie, Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, where Sulu has been promoted to captain that “fans inundated Paramount with email pleas for a new spin off series called ‘The Excelsior with Captain Sulu.” He believes “it surely would have been a huge, monstrous, galactic success,” and that “Paramount missed that opportunity.”
While it’s doubtful Paramount will ever focus a series or movie on anyone but a main character, actor John Cho, who played Sulu in the J.J. Abrams’ films, did say that he was willing to portray Sulu in a spinoff movie. For now, though, Paramount still has to decide whether or not a fourth Star Trek movie will be produced.
What do you think? Would a Sulu spinoff have been a major success like George Takei predicts?
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew