Star Trek: Discovery Introduces New Cast Member - A Cat Named Grudge
Star Trek: Discovery has revealed its newest season 3 cast member - an adorable cat named Grudge. Discovery first debuted on CBS All Access in 2017 as the first in a new batch of Star Trek shows. Reception to the show was mainly positive, though some traditional Trek fans took issue with how the franchise seemed to be moving away from the messages of the original shows. Season 2 attempted to course-correct with the addition of characters like Christopher Pike (Anson Mount) and Spock (Ethan Peck), and the upcoming season 3 looks to steer Discovery back towards the feel of the original StarTrek stories even more.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
Discovery season 3 has taken a bit longer than normal to arrive because of the coronavirus pandemic, which slowed post-production efforts. The first proper look at season 3 came all the way back at San Diego Comic-Con 2019, but the season itself won't arrive until October 15 of this year. Nevertheless, promotional efforts are now ramping up in earnest as Discovery's return nears, and on the heels of the official season 3 trailer, the latest casting announcement has been made.
In a new video shared to the official Star Trek social media account, fans are introduced to Grudge (real name Leeu) the cat, the newest member of Discovery season 3. Grudge, a Maine Coon cat, will play the best friend of newcomer Book (David Ajala). Goose the Flerken from Captain Marvel might have some competition here for the cutest feline in sci-fi. You can see the video down below.
Book is one of the people who the Discovery crew will come across in their new home the 32nd century. The end of Discovery season 2 saw Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) and the rest of her crew jumping hundreds of years into the future, which is untapped territory for the Star Trek franchise. Burnham and Book will have an interesting relationship in season 3, so she better get used to having a cat around.
This delightful announcement comes on the heels of Discovery's other new season 3 additions. Last week, Discovery added Blu Del Barrio and Ian Alexander as the Star Trek franchise's first non-binary and transgender characters, respectively. Between these two performers and Grudge, Discovery is shaping up to have quite the roster. Fans probably shouldn't be surprised if Grudge ends up stealing the show, especially since his welcome video declared him a "one-take wonder." Plus, with the Discovery crew facing threats that have never been seen before, it might be nice to have a source of fluffy sweetness around. Grudge is joining the show at the perfect time.
Star Trek: Discovery will premiere on CBS All Access on October 15.
Source: Star Trek on CBS All Access/TwitterAbout The Author
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks