Star Trek: Lower Decks Recruits John de Lancie to Revisit His Role as Q
One of the most memorable antagonists in the entire Star Trek franchise is Q, an omnipotent being who constantly judged humanity on its merits and often found it lacking. Portrayed by John de Lancie, Q was introduced in the series premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation before briefly resurfacing in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager.
The midseason trailer for CBS All Access' new animated show Star Trek: Lower Decks confirms that de Lancie will return to reprise his iconic role as Q, this time to menace the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos in his judge's robes from his debut appearance.
"We do have John de Lancie as Q in a small part," confirmed series creator and showrunner Mike McMahan in a panel for the animated series as part of CBS All Access' Star Trek Day celebration. "The whole show is not about him, but it’s hard to make a TNG-era show and not have Q show up. Eagle-eyed viewers will catch him.”
Lower Decks premiered last month on CBS All Access as the first new animated Star Trek series in over 40 years, created by Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan. The series, following the least vital starship in Starfleet's vast armada, received a two-season order from CBS.
Star Trek: Lower Decks stars Tawny Newsome as Ensign Beckett Mariner, Eugene Cordero as Ensign Rutherford, Jack Quaid as Ensign Brad Boimler, Noël Wells as Ensign Tendi, Dawnn Lewis as Captain Carol Freeman, Jerry O'Connell as Commander Jack Ransom, Gillian Vigman as Doctor T'Ana and Fred Tatasciore as Lieutenant Shaxs. New episodes premiere Thursdays on CBS All Access.
(via Den of Geek)About The Author
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks