Star Trek: Lower Decks reveals first look at classic character's return
Star Trek's latest spin-off, the animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks, has revealed a classic character who will be returning.
The series is set just one year after the conclusion of the Next Generation movie Nemesis and around five years before the flashbacks from Picard, so having some familiar characters arrive would make sense.
Thanks to a new midseason trailer, which you can watch above, we know that Q, the omnipotent being with immeasurable power over time and space and a distinct lack of appreciation for the human race, will be back.
Q, portrayed by John de Lancie, first appeared in Star Trek: The Next Generation and has been seen across the franchise since. The actor will be reprising his role for Star Trek: Lower Decks.
Q will return "to menace the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos in his judge's robes" according toComic Book Resources.
"We do have John de Lancie as Q in a small part," Lower Decks creator Mike McMahan recently confirmed in a panel for the animated series as part of a virtual Star Trek Day celebration.
"The whole show is not about him, but it's hard to make a TNG-era show and not have Q show up. Eagle-eyed viewers will catch him."
McMahan previously teased that some "legacy" characters will definitely find themselves in the new series due to the timeline.
"We do have legacy actors who show up in the first season of Lower Decks and we have gotten to have a little bit of where are they now sort of vibe through a Lower Decks lens," he explained to Inverse.
Star Trek: Discovery airs on CBS All Access in the US and Netflix internationally, including the UK. Star Trek: Picard airs on CBS All Access in the US and Amazon Prime Video internationally, including the UK.
Digital Spy has launched its first-ever digital magazine with exclusive features, interviews, and videos. Access this edition with a 1-month free trial, only on Apple News+.
Interested in Digital Spy's weekly newsletter? Sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew