Sandra Oh, Michelle Yeoh Join Henry Golding in 'Tiger's Apprentice' (Exclusive)
Sandra Oh, coming off an Emmy nomination for her work in Killing Eve, and international star Michelle Yeoh have joined the voice cast of The Tiger's Apprentice, the adaptation of the best-selling children's book from Paramount Animation.
Brandon Soo Hoo (From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series), Bowen Yang (Saturday Night Live), Sherry Cola (Good Trouble, Claws), and Kheng Hua Tan (Magnum P.I.) have also joined the voice cast.
Heat Vision breakdown
Henry Golding, the Crazy Rich Asian breakout who stars in Snake Eyes, is already cast in the feature project that sees Carlos Baena, a Pixar animator who worked on Wall-E and Toy Story 3, making his feature directing debut.
The book, written by Lawrence Yep and published by HarperCollins in 2003, told of a boy in San Francisco who meets a shape-shifting talking tiger named Mr. Hu and under his tutelage and protection is introduced into a magical world that includes an ancient phoenix, a dragon and a clan of evil-doers.
Oh will play Mistral, a friend of the tiger (Golding) who is an exiled dragon now living in San Francisco. Yeoh's character is unclear.
Davig Magee (Life of Pi), Harry Cripps and Kyle Jarrow worked on the script, which adapts the first book. Tiger's Blood and Tiger Magic were the other titles in the trilogy that was steeped in the mythology of the Chinese Zodiac.
Paramount has set a Feb. 10, 2023, release date for the feature. Jane Startz and Sandra Rabins are producing, with Raman Hui and Kane Lee. Alex Loots is co-producing.
Oh was nominated for outstanding lead actress in a drama series for her work in AMC’s Killing Eve, the third time she has been nominated for the role. The actress has done voice work on shows such as American Dad! and more recently She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. She will also voice a role in Invincible, the upcoming Amazon animated series based on the Robert Kirkman comic book.
Yeoh recently starred in Star Trek: Discovery and worked with Golding in the 2019 romantic comedy, Last Christmas. She will appear in Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and is currently filming James Cameron’s Avatar sequels. She previously voiced a character in Kung Fu Panda 2.
Oh is repped by UTA, Principal Entertainment, and Hansen Jacobson while Yeoh is repped by Artists International Group.
HEAT VISION LATEST NEWSView All
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks