Noah Hawley’s Star Trek 4 On Hold, Will Feature Brand New Crew
What’s next for the Star Trek movie franchise has been the question that fans have been wondering for four years now. For a while there, Paramount seemed to have thrown their lot in with Fargo creator Noah Hawley, who was revealed to be attached to write and direct Star Trek 4late last year. Since then, we’d worked out that the studio had changed their minds again.
Hawley has now confirmed this in a new interview, as well as revealing the first plot details of his take which we may or may not end up seeing. He told Variety that he had completed his script for the movie, and also begun to work with designers to help conceptualize the film’s look and visual feel. However, Paramount’s new boss Emma Watts then instructed him to put ST4 “on hold.”
Potentially the reason Watts got cold feet on the project is because Hawley wanted to reboot the franchise, rather than carry on with Chris Pine’s Kirk and the Enterprise crew. Or even any other familiar Trek crew.
As Hawley reminds us, he’s known for taking a pre-existing property and subverting audience’s expectations by serving up a lot of original content – see Fargo and his trippy Marvel series Legion. So, we shouldn’t be shocked that he’s planning to do the same with Trek. It’s intriguing that he was going to introduce his own characters, though, rather than build on a recognizable IP.
To clarify, Hawley went on to tell Variety that his movieisn’t dead, but is just “in stasis.” Still, other reports have pointed to Watts favoring the idea of reviving the original Star Trek 4, starring Pine and Chris Hemsworth as Kirk’s dad. While the movie side of things continues to be in disarray, at least there’s plenty of Trek TV content to keep us well fed. Lower Decks currently airs weekly on CBS All Access, before Discovery season 3 kicks off on October 15th.
More on this: 32 stories
- Star Trek: Discovery OFFICIALLY Gets a New Captain
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Wants to See Unification of Films and Television
- Noah Hawley explains why his proposed Star Trek movie doesn't include the Kelvin Timeline crew
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Wants Tarantino or Noah Hawley's Movies To Happen
- Zachary Quinto feels over-saturation may hinder new Star Trek film
- Zachary Quinto Would 'Absolutely' Return as Spock If Star Trek 4 Gets Made
- Star Trek 4? Zachary Quinto Says the Entire Cast Wants Another Film
- Star Trek: Zachary Quinto Says Reboot Cast Still Wants to Return for Another Movie
- Zachary Quinto Wants To Play Spock In Star Trek 4
- Star Trek 4: Noah Hawley Reveals More Details About His On-Hold Sequel
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Movie Will Question Humanity's Role in the Federation
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie on hold, details from Quentin Tarantino's pitch revealed
- Paramount pausing Noah Hawley's Star Trek film is a bad sign
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Film On Hold; Tarantino's Film Includes 1930s Gangsters
- Next Star Trek Movie May Not Use Abrams Cast
- Star Trek: Noah Hawley's Film In Danger Due to Its Space Pandemic Storyline
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie on Hold, Quentin Tarantino's Version Still in Development