Star Trek: The Original Series Honored With TCA Heritage Award
The Television Critics Association has announced the winners of its annual TCA Awards and Star Trekhas been honored with the very special Heritage Award. The Original Series has been gifted the gong due to its iconic nature in the history of television and its impressively (for the time) diverse cast and progressive messages that still resonate today.
The news comes via StarTrek.com, with the following statement released by the TCA:
While fans may continually debate which Star Trek show is the best, there’s no denying that TOS is the most groundbreaking and, as the TCA said in a tweet (seen above), it’s the “most significant sci-fi series in American TV history.” Despite the massive, sprawling franchise it spawned, “everything goes back to the original.”
Yes, the Trek universe has moved on and is being continually updated, but the spirit of The Original Series still endures. The reboot movies featured brand new versions of the original Enterprise crew, with Leonard Nimoy even reprising his role as Spock for the first two.
Spock then returned for Star Trek: Discovery, now played by Ethan Peck, who will reprise the character for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as well, a direct prequel to TOS. It’s believed that other future members of Kirk’s crew will appear on the upcoming series, too. Maybe even James T. himself.
Of course, this TCA Award is extremely timely, given that last week marked Star Trek Day. It’s a good time to be a Star Trekfan all-round, then, seeing as Star Trek: Lower Decks airs weekly on CBS All Access and Discovery season 3 debuts immediately after it, starting October 15th.
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew