Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks
Wil Wheaton wants to return as an animated Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks. Created by Rick and Morty veteran Mike McMahan, Stark Trek: Lower Decks is an animated CBS All Access series set in the Star Trek universe and centers around the junior officers of the U.S.S. Cerritos, one of Starfleet's least important ships. The half-hour comedy show is loosely based on the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Lower Decks," and follows the lower decks crew members rather than the main bridge crew traditionally focused on in previous Star Trek series.
Lower Decks premiered on August 6 and has since been met with polarizing reception from Star Trek fans, who have criticized the show for being too goofy without any actual funny jokes and not following the traditional pace of the Star Trek franchise. However, others have noted that the show is still finding its footing as it's trying something new from the other Star Trek shows. It turns out, Lower Decks has a fan in Star Trek: The Next Generation alum Wil Wheaton, and he's even up for reprising his role on the show.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
In an interview with TrekMovie, Wil Wheaton says he wants to return as Wesley Crusher for Lower Decks. Wheaton, who currently hoststhe Star Trek aftershow The Ready Room, also went on to say where he thinks his character would be in 2380 of the Star Trek universe timeline.
Wheaton also said that he "absolutely loves"Lower Decks and that he is indifferent to the backstory McMahan would choose for Wesley, as long as he was able to don his spacesuit again. McMahan has previously hinted that his animated series may include appearances by some legendary Next Generation characters at some point in the future. CBS All Access has already revisited some Next Gen characters with Picard, which saw Patrick Stewart reprise his legendary character along with Brent Spiner as Data, Marina Sirtis as Troi and Jonathan Frakes as Riker.
Though some franchise fans were not necessarily pleased with how the Next Generation characters were brought back for Picard, it would be interesting to see how the they could mix in with the comedic tone of Lower Decks. Wheaton has even previously discussed the connection between Lower Decks and Next Generation with McMahan and cast members on The Ready Room. Between Wheaton openly expressing his love for Lower Decks and McMahan's statements about having Next Generation cast members on the series, it seems pretty likely that Wesley Crusher will make some type of appearance on the show in the future.
Source: TrekMovieAbout The Author
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- 5 Most Likable Characters (& 5 Fans Can't Stand)