Star Trek actors encourage fans to act to create a real Star Trek future
A panel held on Star Trek Day brought a cry for action to light
Star Trek as a franchise has always been a place of hope. In the future experienced on these series, wars on Earth don’t exist neither does hunger, poverty, or racism. Everyone is included because everyone belongs as each series proved the world was big enough for everyone. And a panel with the cast from Star Trek: Enterprise on Star Trek Day brought a challenge to fans worldwide to put action to these dreams for the future.
John Billingsley, who portrayed Dr. Phlox on Enterprise, believes it’s important to “act on the ground every day to make a difference in the world as it exists.” The actor has always questioned if Star Trek can show us how to create a Utopian future, and if that’s the case, what steps do we need to take to get there?
Though things aren’t perfect in the Star Trek universe, they are vastly improved over life as we know it now on Earth. Beyond the technology and interstellar travel, there is acceptance. If there was on thing that wasn’t tolerated onboard a Starfleet vessel, it was prejudice of any kind.
In the Star Trek: The Original Series episode, Balance of Terror, Captain Kirk made it very clear that bigotry wasn’t welcome when he told Lt. Stiles to “leave any bigotry in your quarters. There’s no room for it on the bridge.” He, like many other officers aboard Starfleet vessels, would never tolerate intolerance. That was the world they lived in, and that’s the world Gene Roddenberry saw for our future.
It’d doubtful that our own Utopia will rise tomorrow, but as Scott Bakula said “err on the side of hope that we will rise above.” So if not now, eventually.
More on this: 590 stories
- Kate Mulgrew to Reprise 'Star Trek: Voyager' Role 'Star Trek: Prodigy'
- Star Trek: How TNG's First Contact & DS9 Mocked Each Other (& Why)
- Star Trek: Next Generation Movies
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Pokes Fun at One of TNG's Weirdest Episodes
- Old quotes about Star Trek: Beyond paint different story with modern light
- Dev Patel Reportedly Eyed To Play Khan In New Star Trek Spinoff Show
- 2 new Star Trek novels set to explore classic television series
- 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' will warp us all into Captain Pike's backstory
- Star Trek Hints Q Will Return In Star Trek: Picard Series
- Star Trek says Khan is ultimate badass but there's one far more bad
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back a Classic Next Generation Villain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks is even worse after giving it a second chance
- Two New Trek Authors Will Pen Trek Novels
- Hawley On Scrapped "Alien," "Star Trek" Pitches
- Star Trek: Discovery - 10 Season 2 Facts You Need To Remember Before Season 3
- Star Trek: 10 Greatest Battles, Ranked
- Star Trek Finally Sends Its GREATEST Villain Into the Mirror Universe
- Star Trek Involvement Keeps Kenneth Mitchell "Inspired," With "Purpose" Following ALS Diagnosis
- Noah Hawley sounds like he understands how to make a Star Trek film
- Star Trek Finally Remembered That Phasers Aren't Just For Killing
- Why we shouldn't expect a Star Trek: Kirk series with William Shatner
- Lower Decks Names the Greatest Villain in the Star Trek Universe
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back the Gorn
- Fan made Star Trek trailer puts classic stars back in their iconic roles
- Star Trek: Discovery scores low ratings for CBS amid uncertain future