Star Trek 4 Said To Be Canceled, Paramount Reportedly No Longer Making Trek Movies
The big screen arm of Star Trek has been clouded by uncertainty over the last couple of years, with conflicting reports making the rounds about what the future holds for the crew of the Enterprise. The canonical fourth installment saw Chrises Pine and Hemsworth jump ship, although the former eventually agreed to return, while original director S.J. Clarkson also departed.
Legion creator Noah Hawley then signed on to write and helm a mystery project, which many assumed to be Star Trek 4, but the filmmaker’s comments made it sound like he was planning to reboot the series yet again. Simon Pegg played a main role and co-wrote the script for the last outing, Star Trek Beyond, but even he had no idea what was going on with the cast of the Kelvin timeline and didn’t sound too confident about their chances of returning.
Quentin Tarantino’s proposed R-rated movie, meanwhile, was more of a pipe dream than anything, and The Wrath of Khan producer Robin Sallin was apparently also working on a pitch. But even though there are currently four different Star Trek films in various stages of development that would all approach the material from widely different angles, the latest rumor claims that none of them will be happening, as Paramount are set to give up on making feature length stories altogether at this stage.
While this shouldn’t be taken as gospel, the franchise has certainly suffered enough setbacks recently that you could imagine the studio executives getting frustrated at the lack of movement, and the Kelvin timeline didn’t really pull in the sort of box office numbers expected from $150 million effects-driven blockbusters. Star Trekis still popular on the small screen, no doubt, but given the lack of forward momentum, it wouldn’t surprise us to see Paramount end up pulling the plug on cinematic adventures.
Source: Giant Freakin Robot
More on this: 771 stories
- Exclusive Star Trek: Discovery Clip—Michael and Tilly Reunite
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: Every Change To Earth In The 32nd Century
- Star Trek: Discovery's Newest Crew Member Has a Deep Space Nine-Era Link
- How Star Trek Discovery Will Connect to TOS Despite 930-Year Time Jump
- Guillermo del Toro Frankenstein Was "Hauntingly Beautiful" Says Doug Jones
- The list of strongest ships on Star Trek.com favors villains over Starfleet
- Star Trek and Amazon Team Up for Monthlong Celebration in November
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3, Episode 3, Recap & Spoilers
- Star Trek: Discovery Finally Reveals Its New Captain
- Star Trek: Discovery's Doug Jones Discusses This Week's Big Moment for Saru
- Star Trek: Discovery Recap: "People of Earth" Hits Home Hard
- Star Trek: Every New Discovery Reveal About The Burn Explained
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine would have been so different with these actors
- Star Trek: Discovery leap to future a permanent change to series
- Star Trek: Picard Novel Details Riker, Troi's Post-TNG Adventures
- Marvel's Shang-Chi star praises crew after 'marathon' shoot
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Time Jump Explained by Doug Jones
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Amazon Announces Star Trek Month For November
- Star Trek: Discovery - Saru Earns His Stripes as Captain
- There's Something Wrong Keyla Detmer
- Star Trek: Lower Decks - 10 References You Totally Missed
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Star Trek Discovery: Airiam Is Still Part Of The Crew In Season 3