Star Trek: Kate Mulgrew Returning as Captain Janeway In Prodigy
Star Trek: Voyager star Kate Mulgrew will reprise her role as Captain Kathryn Janeway in Star Trek: Prodigy, and upcoming addition to the expanding Star Trek universe. CBS Studios announced the news today during the Star Trek Universe virtual panel at New York Comic Con, with more cast announcements coming in the near future. Mulgrew said, “I have invested every scintilla of my being in Captain Janeway, and I can’t wait to endow her with nuance that I never did before in Star Trek: Prodigy. How thrilling to be able to introduce to these young minds an idea that has elevated the world for decades. To be at the helm again is going to be deeply gratifying in a new way for me.”
Executive Producer Alex Kurtzman said, “Captain Janeway was held to a different standard than her predecessors. She was asked to embody an inhuman level of perfection in order to be accepted as ‘good enough’ by the doubters, but showed them all what it means to be truly outstanding. We can think of no better captain to inspire the next generation of dreamers on Nickelodeon, than she.”
“Kate’s portrayal of Captain Janeway is truly iconic, and has resonated with a global audience for many years,” said Ramsey Naito, President, Nickelodeon Animation. “We can’t wait to see her bring this character to life in a whole new way, while continuing to be an inspiration for both new and loyal fans.”
Star Trek: Prodigy is a new animated series in the works for Nickelodeon that is aimed at younger views. The series is developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters and Ninjago) and overseen for Nickelodeon by Naito.
Star Trek: Prodigy follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning, and salvation. The CG-animated series will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon in 2021.
Star Trek: Prodigy is from CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, CBS Studios’ new animation arm; Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry, and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers alongside co-showrunners Kevin and Dan Hageman. Ben Hibon will direct, co-executive produce, and serve as the creative lead of the all-new animated series. Aaron Baiers will also serve as co-executive producer with Mac Middleton as a producer. Production of Star Trek: Prodigy is overseen for Nickelodeon by Claudia Spinelli, Senior Vice President, Animation Development and Kelley Gardner, Vice President, Current Series Animation.
More on this: 30 stories
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: Every Change To Earth In The 32nd Century
- Kate Mulgrew's Kathryn Janeway honored in hometown
- Star Trek: Why Captain Janeway Is Perfect For The New Series Prodigy
- Kate Mulgrew of 'Star Trek: Voyager' crashes Captain Janeway statue celebration via Zoom
- Janeway Statue Unveiled In Bloomington
- Kate Mulgrew Reveals What It Took For Her To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Star Trek: Captain Janeway Statue Unveiled With Kate Mulgrew In Future Hometown
- Star Trek: Kate Mulgrew Reveals What Convinced Her to Return as Captain Janeway
- Star Trek's Captain Janeway Honored With Statue In Character's Hometown
- Star Trek: Prodigy Finds Its Composer
- CBS Reportedly Considering Captain Janeway Star Trek Show
- Star Trek Head Explains How Janeway's Return Happened
- Janeway To Return In Animated Star Trek: Prodigy
- Star Trek: Prodigy To Bring Back Kate Mulgrew As Captain Janeway
- 'Star Trek: Prodigy' recruits Kate Mulgrew, 'Voyager's' Captain Janeway
- Kate Mulgrew's Captain Janeway Makes Her Return in Star Trek: Prodigy
- Kate Mulgrew Can't Wait To Return As Janeway In Star Trek: Prodigy
- Kate Mulgrew to reprise Janeway on Nickelodeon's 'Star Trek: Prodigy'
- New Star Trek show Prodigy will bring back Captain Janeway
- Kate Mulgrew returning as Captain Janeway in Star Trek: Prodigy
- Star Trek: Prodigy: Kate Mulgrew Returns as Captain Janeway!
- Janeway Is Heading Back Into Our Lives in 'Star Trek: Prodigy'
- Star Trek: Voyager's Kate Mulgrew is reprising Captain Janeway
- Star Trek: Prodigy Casts Kate Mulgrew as Captain Janeway
- Star Trek Prodigy: Kate Mulgrew Returns as Captain Janeway